Discuss Sealing Junction Boxes with Silicone ! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

I have a couple of 30A JB in a garage that I have had to replace because some crappy ones from Screwfix were fitted awile back and they were showing some signs of corrosion products on the Terminals (coated steel) should be banned !!!! .
Ive changed them out , now I am wanting to seal them like filling them up with some silicone sealant , would that be ok or is there some special filler / sealant I have to use ! .

An alternative to sealant would be an IP65 junction box with stuffing glands on the cable entry. They do them for flat cable (T&E) now. Screwfix sell these items.

As Murdoch said, you shouldn't really have a problem if it's inside?

As said above unnecessary in an internal junction box, but if you did want to seal electrical connections in an enclosure then magic gel is the material often used, designed for the purpose, but costly; you can also use electrical insulation conformable putty.

No need for sealemt if the jb is inside.....

Thanks for your reply , as my first post said there was some signs of corrosion products on the screw part , so even in a garage there is some dampness in the air to do that , I just wanted to know if it would be ok to fill the JB with silicone sealant ie will it have any electrical properties to it to maybe trip a RCD or not !

Don't use silicon sealant.
There is a silicon gel that can be purchased, for use mostly outside. Fill the JB completely with the gel, much easier to remove when necessary.
You can also purchase a silicon spray grease. Spray the terminal blocks until completely covered.

If the screws in the jb are caroding what about other things in the garage.... You need to sort the leak and or ventilation imho

If the screws in the jb are caroding what about other things in the garage.... You need to sort the leak and or ventilation imho

I had similar problems and fitted a humidity controlled fan. It does an excellent job of keeping the garage dry.

Maybe just seal the entry holes to they JB and a thin smear round the cover edge. So not in direct contact with connections just keeping it dry inside.

Reply to Sealing Junction Boxes with Silicone ! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock