Discuss Security lights coming on during daylight hours. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone, happy Christmas,

My outdoor security lighting has taken on a mind of its own. The rear external security lights which are operated by the [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]GJD - Opal XL External PIR Detector (below) are now coming on during daylight hours. The main control panel is the GJD multi-sensor system. Nothing has been adjusted nor changed. Having pulled the adjustable sensor out of it's bracket, I can't see where adjustment for time lag, day,night etc. takes place, even though as I've said they haven't been touched. The front security lights are not affected, even though they are an integral part of the system. Which leads me to think it's the rear passive that's at fault. I've now had to switch the affected ones off at the panel.
When we moved into this property, two of the rear passives were next to each other! which seemed odd, so I extended the wiring to have one passive at one end of the property & the other at the other end, so both entrances are covered. This took place 18 months ago & all has worked fine until this week when we came back from holiday. The manual doesn't cover the problem.[/FONT]

Any ideas?

Security lights coming on during daylight hours. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

i'd suspect that 1 pir has a faulty daylight sensor. try swapping with one on the front to see if the fault moves with the pir. if it does then a new pir is the answer.

As above Faulty sensor

Is the test mode individual to them? If so may it have inadvertently been selected?
Hmmm! not sure what you mean ruston, as I've said, I know of nowhere where I can alter the settings unlike the security lamps with built-in PIRs. There's no "walk" test mentioned. All that's possible is to isolate one or the other, or both, likewise with the "sounder" that I normally have switch off.
I've done the switch, front switched with back & now the front one is coming on, so that's the culprit, BUT, in my OP, I said that there were 2 PIRs next to each other, front & back of the property, & so I separated 'em, I'm now thinking that, for what ever reason, they failed & instead if simply replacing 'em, 2 new ones were installed alongside the faulty ones?? I'll be able to double check this tonight, as at the rear of the property, I re-located one that I moved to a point that it doesn't interfere with the one next to the conservatory door & only picks you up when the far side gate is used, which isn't often at night, so I'm going to check that scenario tonight.
Hope all this makes sense.

Traditional PIR's have a walk test facility that is usually manual ,or by turning the time and daylight sensor to min.
Some where tested by interrupting the supply and reinstating it in a given time period.
Maybe trying to download a manufacturers manual may help you.

Traditional PIR's have a walk test facility that is usually manual ,or by turning the time and daylight sensor to min.
Some where tested by interrupting the supply and reinstating it in a given time period.
Maybe trying to download a manufacturers manual may help you.
Yeah, the other ones I have are the traditional type, that are simplicity itself to set up, but these GJDs are, it seems, pre-set.
Not dark enough yet for a test on the ones I've switched.

Hi again. I've blanked off the one that I now know is faulty, which will be replaced. All the other passives are as they should be. But didn't PIRs at one time only work on heat & movement?
This windy weather is a pain, as they are sometimes activated by the movement of the shrubbery at the front of the house. I usually isolate those passives at the panel during windy weather, or I could blank off a section of the cover, but that defeats the object. Anyway, thanks for your help with this post.

Reply to Security lights coming on during daylight hours. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock