Discuss Security ? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I’ve just had a security screen appear from nowhere. What’s gone wrong this time?

Yes .... I had the same thing the other day and ever since then whenever I fire-up my browser I hear a nasally Yank voice lecturing me about security through the speakers and I cannot get rid of it except by turning the sound off. There's also a nasally Yank woman prattling on about how to use a browser.

Where the **** did this come from??? I don't know but it only happened since this forum's "security" screen popped up.

It's looking to me like this forum is not a very safe place to be just now.

That’s got me worried now. I should have done a screen shot of it. See if anyone else has had it.

I have been getting a page with some crap about you cannot post due to security issues please contact your administrator or the like

3 or 4 times i've had a stupid number that i can barely read that i have to copy in a box.

For days i had a screen asking for a fuzzy number then it would say 'time out'

That’s got me worried now. I should have done a screen shot of it. See if anyone else has had it.

Well I have this voice thing going on all the time when the browser is open unless I mute the sound.

I've done my best to find out where it's coming from with no luck so am waiting for my tame IT bod to show up but IT bods are worse than builders for not showing up when they say they will.

They are also so bloody BORING to talk to!!!

Another thing that's just started to happen is whenever I try to access my e-mail account I am asked to log into G-mail - which would be fine if I used G-mail but I don't. My account is with Virgin media which I now can't get into because this G-Mail login page keeps appearing and asking for user name & password etc. Then when I do it says it isn't recognised and won't let me in!!

I'll see what my IT bloke finds out - if / when he turns up. One thing's for sure though and it if he does turn up he'll be leaving about £30 richer and I'll be about £30 poorer!

Looks like I may be kicking this forum into the long grass if Issues like this continue - it isn't worth the hassle.

Fortunately I have a very nice big solid-as-a-rock desktop PC to use for the "important stuff".

Yes .... I had the same thing the other day and ever since then whenever I fire-up my browser I hear a nasally Yank voice lecturing me about security through the speakers and I cannot get rid of it except by turning the sound off. There's also a nasally Yank woman prattling on about how to use a browser.

Where the **** did this come from??? I don't know but it only happened since this forum's "security" screen popped up.

It's looking to me like this forum is not a very safe place to be just now.
America by any chance?

Yes .... I had the same thing the other day and ever since then whenever I fire-up my browser I hear a nasally Yank voice lecturing me about security through the speakers and I cannot get rid of it except by turning the sound off......
There's extra security measures in place temporarily that require you to prove you're a genuine user every now and again by copying a 'capcha' number or text into the box. The capcha has the option of being able to played as audio to help people if they have problems reading the characters but I don't think it plays the audio automatically, it should only play if you click on the audio button.

Another thing that's just started to happen is whenever I try to access my e-mail account I am asked to log into G-mail - which would be fine if I used G-mail but I don't. My account is with Virgin media which I now can't get into because this G-Mail login page keeps appearing and asking for user name & password etc. Then when I do it says it isn't recognised and won't let me in!!......
This email problem will be a completely separate issue to the forum security screen. The purpose of the security screen is to prevent malicious attacks on the forum, it's nothing that's even remotely related to your mail settings.

It’s about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. All I did was refresh the screen and I was back in.

It was just a bit of a surprise to see it.

I think it's been mentioned a couple of times in a thread in the Arms and another one in the open forums somewhere. It is an annoyance but like I said it's just a security measure to prevent maliciously high traffic volumes and hopefully it won't be necessary for too long because it's beginning to annoy me as well.

Just had the security page while trying to load photo....then after a 3 line essay, a message told me i have to add 6 charactors or more...GRRRRR

Reply to Security ? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock