Discuss Self build - wiring a new network. Advice please. in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

janner43

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully to give me some advice. :)

1) I am building a self build home and want to wire it for networking
2) The network will be wired through a NETGEAR GS608-400UKS 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps Switch: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
3) We are going to be using it for smart TV, possible NAS access and general domestic "computery stuff"
4) I only want to do this once and within a balance of affordability I would like to do it in the best way possible.

My question is what sort of network cable should I run?
Cat 5e or Cat 6?
Shielded or UTP (unshielded twisted pair)?

If you were to explain why you think one is preferable to another I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Hi mate, I work in IT, we don't even run cat6 - you will get gig speed with cat5e. Unless you're planning on running the next Google from home it will be more than sufficient for decades to come. We tend to run UTP too. In a domestic environment that's all you'd need, even if running in locations near power cables. There's no need to over think it, stick with the basics and you'll be alright.

Couple of smart tv, nas, supply, couple of computers, that's 6, so why buy a 24 port? It'd be overkill and a waste of money.

The OP did say he wanted to do it once and do it properly!

I've run wiring for 8 in my place and the extension will require about 4 more........ so thats 12 to begin with!

The OP did say he wanted to do it once and do it properly!

I've run wiring for 8 in my place and the extension will require about 4 more........ so thats 12 to begin with!
Fair comment, but there's nothing to stop him running 300 cables where he might foresee their use but aren't necessarily needed today, but a switch is easily upgraded as that demand increases. If you add in to the equation consoles, sky boxes, home automation etc then that 8 could easily be 20, but if all he plans on plugging in for the next few years is a few items there's no need to spend more.

Op: as murdoch raises though, think carefully about your wiring needs - that single point in the kitchen can easily be overlooked, or a few extra at the TV centre that weren't previously thought to be needed. It'll be sods law that you find you need a cable running somewhere after you get your last coat of paint on your brand new walls.

Also, my uncle built a house - he wired in speakers to every room, and has a central controlled sound system. Quite fancy but I love it. Means if he has music on he can go room to room and it follows him, and very handy for parties etc

Also, my uncle built a house - he wired in speakers to every room, and has a central controlled sound system. Quite fancy but I love it. Means if he has music on he can go room to room and it follows him, and very handy for parties etc

Recently been helping wire a new build big house, speakers in every room also - but in all the main rooms 7 speakers - all back to central a central point - we used about 1.5km of speaker cable in all.

Just wondering if I should run CAT5 to a port in the garage / store (in our extension) - I have no need for it now, but what about the future?

Just wondering if I should run CAT5 to a port in the garage / store (in our extension) - I have no need for it now, but what about the future?
If it'll be less trouble now I would do it. Never know when you might want a tv in there, a cc tv system, or a computerised freezer

Thanks guys :)

That is all excellent advice. I will "over wire" as in running more cabling etc than I think I need to begin with, so thanks for that suggestion.

I'll have multiple ports on the router anyway, so the switch is an addition to that and can always be added to or upsized in the future as required.

I'll go ahead with cat5e then.

I'm currently musing over music speakers. To be honest, we don't listen to music a huge amount, but I have already got a reel of speaker cable for pre wiring 7.2 surround sound - even though I currently only run at 5.1

Many thanks to all who have replied. Great forum.

I'm actually a forum admin on a tech site for mobile tech devices such as the Asus Transformer, so I know a good forum when I see one.

Thanks again.

Hi mate, I work in IT, we don't even run cat6 - you will get gig speed with cat5e. Unless you're planning on running the next Google from home it will be more than sufficient for decades to come. We tend to run UTP too. In a domestic environment that's all you'd need, even if running in locations near power cables. There's no need to over think it, stick with the basics and you'll be alright.
Hightower I bow to your superior knowledge on the subject, but when I've been browsing on AV forums, the advice on there was to use Cat6. I can't point you to specific threads, but I just googled Cat5 v Cat6 and this is one of the first hits;
What Is The Difference Between Cat 5, Cat 5e, and Cat 6 Cable?

Wire pure copper cat6 shielded then you have a future proof system. I did it my my parents place and its finished its defiantly a pleasing thought. Throw in speaker system and a coax/bt to the garage.

Hightower I bow to your superior knowledge on the subject, but when I've been browsing on AV forums, the advice on there was to use Cat6. I can't point you to specific threads, but I just googled Cat5 v Cat6 and this is one of the first hits;
What Is The Difference Between Cat 5, Cat 5e, and Cat 6 Cable?
Superior? Not so sure about that haha.

But there's honestly no need to be installing cat6 in a domestic setting unless you're running a server farm or something. For the added cost (quite substantial) the domestic user will see little in the way of benefit. Cat5e is going nowhere fast, and I've not heard of anything in the pipeline that would possibly warrant cat6 at least in a domestic setting. You can only stream as fast as your Internet connection allows, and the normal home user won't be sending data over the home network with demand for speeds greater than offered by cat5e.

Wire pure copper cat6 shielded then you have a future proof system. I did it my my parents place and its finished its defiantly a pleasing thought. Throw in speaker system and a coax/bt to the garage.
Completely future proof, until cat 7 is the new standard. The op asked for thoughts on networking in terms of value for money, and I don't believe this option is value for money.

Rcbos are the dream in a domestic electrical setting, and I'm sure everyone recommends their use highly. But when somebody says they want a solution that fits their needs and wallet, and all you can say is 'you need rcbos', well I'm not sure that's the best way to win customers.

Unless the op has strong needs for higher data transfer rates there is really no need to install cat6. As I say I work in IT on a medium to large network, and it hasn't even entered my head to use cat6 yet. It's simply not value for money in regards to our needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Superior? Not so sure about that haha.

But there's honestly no need to be installing cat6 in a domestic setting unless you're running a server farm or something. For the added cost (quite substantial) the domestic user will see little in the way of benefit.
Places I just googled have Cat6 at 26p per metre more?

Places I just googled have Cat6 at 26p per metre more?
Yeah that probably sounds right. Not mega bucks more, until you realise you need cat6 terminations too, and when I last installed they were twice the price of cat5e modules.

Not double now on a quick look at screwfix.

http://m.NoLinkingToThis/p/philex-rj45-cat5e-module-outlet-kit-double/34584

http://m.NoLinkingToThis/p/philex-cat-6-rj45-twin-outlet-kit/96906?filtered=true

But let's say the op wires 100m to 10 points (using an outlet at each end), so 26 quid extra for the cable at your prices, plus 30 quid extra for the cat6 outlets.

On an install that might cost 100 quid in materials to do cat5e, a 50% increase for no realistic benefit is a lot of money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Self build - wiring a new network. Advice please. in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net