Discuss Selfridges Emergency battery test in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am currently doing a 3 hour duration test in Selfridges for the em lighting. When I turn off the mcbs the emergency lighting does not activate. I have asked if this is to do with the central battery system but the staff will not let me and my colleague touch it. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar situation and how they got around it.......

Have you been able to inspect one of the fittings as slave luminaries for central systems will contain no batteries nor will they have led charge indication or have you confirmed it is a central battery system.

Last edited:
can you give us some more i formation about the emergency lighting installation?
If it's a central battery system then you don't test it by running the lights for 3hours the same way you would self contained units.

However the emergency lighting, if non-maintained, should still come on with a loss of the supply to the normal lighting in the area.

I am currently doing a 3 hour duration test in Selfridges for the em lighting. When I turn off the mcbs the emergency lighting does not activate. I have asked if this is to do with the central battery system but the staff will not let me and my colleague touch it. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar situation and how they got around it.......
question, do you know what you are doing !

Ok since you were rude I will be too. **** you. I know exactly what I'm doing. **** off if you're not going to help

Unfortunately we only have your opening post to go by, which suggests that you are testing a central battery system by operating the emergency lighting for 3 hours.
Since you know exactly what you are doing you are obviously aware that this is completely the wrong way of testing a central battery system.

Looking at it from a different angle, so to speak, I am wondering if what the issue is that the emergency fittings are not illuminating when the local supplies are dropped out. From what little experience I have with central battery systems I would imagine that there should be a "power failed" type relay which is normally constantly energised by the local ccts but when they fail then it closes and energises the emergency fittings. I would imagine that if there is not a local relay then the emergency lighting only comes on where there is a wider power failure than a single cct or two or even one lighting board loosing its supply.

Only ever test the self contained emergency lights in pubs etc for the 3 hour duration. However I have seen them and when replacing lights, isolating circuits has caused a relay to operate and emergency lights in that area illuminate. Think you're knackered.

The control panel should have a test facility.
Reading between the lines, I think that the OP is not been allowed access to the panel.

But, out of curiosity, would it be normal to expect that on a central battery system there would be some method of detecting local supply failure? By that I mean to replicate the way that self-contained fittings are normally wired on the same circuit as the lights that they are providing replacement illumination for.

(My only experience with central battery systems is as totally separate systems where the outputs are switched on when the building is open to the public, all the fittings are illuminated in addition to local fittings so there is no need for any switch over on any scale of power fail)

Reply to Selfridges Emergency battery test in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net