Discuss Semi retirement planning advice. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all
Looking for some guidance and advice post retirement.
I'm 48 at the moment and will be looking to semi-retire at 55 from my current job as a jetty operator - Oil terminal here at Milford Haven.
Working 12 hour nightshifts are getting difficult to maintain and are affecting my health.
My intention is to semi retire into a technically challenging role but at reduced hours and daylight hours.
I've always been hands on since buying my first run down house at 18years and doing it up, moving on and buying another. A string of ex girlfriends / wives have benefitted from them mind!
I would like to pursue a role in the electrical industry but scale it back to just being a domestic installation electrician and able to self certify and sign off my own work.
Hopefully I can start up my own little business that my son or daughter can get into when they're grown up and they could become full blown electricians as it's such a diversified subject.
Where I'm at now is - next Wednesday I complete my EAL Electro Technical Diploma 6724 Level 2 and I'm going back to college in September to do my EAL Level 3 9331 for 1 year.
What you guys reckon on my next step?
Cheers

Hi bud,obviously,we hardly ever know another members personal circumstances,so be prepared for any advice given,to be succinct (polite word for harsh:))

Not knowing the requirements of your present position,but guessing it is normal decent corporate benefits,like training,ppe,HR,guaranteed hours/pay/pension,etc,and your admission of some physical issues,i am concerned that you may believe,or have been assured,that the role of SE electrician,to the general public,would be an easy transition.

It will not.

Have you got any friends/associates,who are doing the job at present? They would be the best to ask,and try to work alongside,for the experience that is going to be vital.

Your physical limits,and they are your business,should be taken seriously,and maybe guide the training undertaken,towards aspects of the industry,less likely to exasperate them.

Whilst being a staunch supporter,of any type of learning undertaken,at any age,for anybody,i have reservations,regarding some institutions who take large fees,and fail to sell the true picture of the industry awaiting their pupils.

Once again,i repeat,we do not know your circumstances,or the nature of the commendable tuition you chose to undertake,but a simple test,is if the folk doing such training,are drawn from the local area,and have similar aspirations,could that area support that number of entrants,as businesses,year on year?

On a tangent,i worked at Milford Haven,years back,when involved with Grayston's heavy crane division,and have fond memories of misjudging the length of your beaches,on walks,and having to get taxis back to me digs:)

You are doing the work early,and asking the right questions,but please,if anyone tells you that the passage from your current position,to your desired one,is easy - they are either fibbing,or taking a cheque off you...;)

Hi Marcus: Firstly welcome to the forum & congratulations on what you've achieved so far.
Not trying to dampen your spirits buddy, but I'm afraid PEG is spot on.
Domestic electrical (House bashing) is a physically demanding job. Bending & kneeling to lift boards & pull in cables, Stretching across kitchen cabinets to wire fittings & Pulling yourself into attics etc, they all take their toll on your body as many of us have found to our cost.
Not been to Milford / Pembroke dock for a few years, but it used to be inundated with sparks all vying for work.
One suggestion might be to look into the Domestic Alarm / CCTV side of things, it's Normally a lot less physically demanding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Marcus: Firstly welcome to the forum & congratulations on what you've achieved so far.
Not trying to dampen your spirits buddy, but I'm afraid PEG is spot on.
Domestic electrical (House bashing) is a physically demanding job. Bending & kneeling to lift boards & pull in cables, Stretching across kitchen cabinets to wire fittings & Pulling yourself into attics etc, they all take their toll on your body as many of us have found to our cost.
Not been to Milford / Pembroke dock for a few years, but it used to be inundated with sparks all vying for work.
One suggestion might be to look into the Domestic Alarm / CCTV side of things, it's Normally a lot less physically demanding.
Thank you for the advice.
I intend to go forward and complete Level 3 as I found Level 2 very interesting and informative, especially the workshop element of working with different permutations of installation methods.
Having Level 2 & 3 under my belt should give a good grounding to build off to look at what you suggested then. Cheers.

Hi Marcus: Your welcome, your electrical qualifications won't be wasted. You'll have things like fused spurs etc to install & there's always the opportunity to pick up things like socket changes etc as you go round. Plenty of books around on alarms / cctv those by Gerrard honey being excellent.
One suggestion: Don't limit yourself to your local area for work.

Hi Marcus: Your welcome, your electrical qualifications won't be wasted. You'll have things like fused spurs etc to install & there's always the opportunity to pick up things like socket changes etc as you go round. Plenty of books around on alarms / cctv those by Gerrard honey being excellent.
One suggestion: Don't limit yourself to your local area for work.
That's great , thank you.
Would I require to be a member of a competent person scheme / Part 'P' to install that level of circuitry?

That's great , thank you.
Would I require to be a member of a competent person scheme / Part 'P' to install that level of circuitry?
notification of certain work comes under part p. this is a biulding regulation that can be viewed/downloaded from planning portal. notifying work is easier if you join a cps. like niceic/napit/etc. make sure you read the part p doc. that is applicable to Wales, as it covers more than in England. it's basically new circuits, work in bathrooms and outside, replacing consumer units. smaller jobs, as a rule, are not notifiable.

notification of certain work comes under part p. this is a biulding regulation that can be viewed/downloaded from planning portal. notifying work is easier if you join a cps. like niceic/napit/etc. make sure you read the part p doc. that is applicable to Wales, as it covers more than in England. it's basically new circuits, work in bathrooms and outside, replacing consumer units. smaller jobs, as a rule, are not notifiable.
Thank you, i'll down load and have a read - cheers.

Welcome :) What does a jetty operator do??
Welcome :) What does a jetty operator do??
I'm an Oil Terminal Jetty Operator and basically when I'm on shift my job is to organise and schedule all the oil tankers inbound for the refinery.
When they're berthed at our terminal, then I organise manpower to get them loaded or off-loaded, what ever the case may be.

This is where I work.
Semi retirement planning advice. Energy Protector - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
i'm self employed as a spark and i'd swap you jobs any day. give my knees and back a rest. not to mention being partly deaf as the result of noise throughout my working life.

i'm self employed as a spark and i'd swap you jobs any day. give my knees and back a rest. not to mention being partly deaf as the result of noise throughout my working life.

...I'm here for you now,Tel...playing a tune,on the world's smallest violin...;)

Reply to Semi retirement planning advice. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock