Discuss Service Head question? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Andy99

-
Reaction score
Hi first time on here, but a bit of advice needed, We have a complete rewire on a large house , its been a little while since anything has been done here and as you can see its well overdue, our first and main issue is the supply head. The suppliers cut out is rated at 60A and the casing is a bit fragile to say the least. We have requested when the DNO disconnect the supply that they upgrade the supply head increase the rating to 100A ( its 6 beds, 5 receptions) and install a 4 pole isolator . We are getting stupid costs thrown back at us. As we think this part ( ie the suppliers side) is not safe who is responsible for the cost of this work. Cheers

2017-06-13 16.19.44.jpg

2017-06-13 16.20.34.jpg

Hi Andy & welcome.
In my experience the DNO will accept responsibility for replacement of the service head if it's Damaged / Faulty. When you mention uprating it though, then they would normally charge for that.

Any free change due to damage of their equipment will be subject to a survey by them. Most times they agree, although I have known them not to on occasion.

That looks like a self connect meter (separate cover for incoming and outgoing tails) if it is it will have a single pole isolator incorporated into it, either behind the outgoing terminal cover or via a screwdriver slot in the front.
If this is the case then you don't need the DNO to disconnect for replacing the consumer's tails.

If the cutout is deemed to need replacing by them then they will replace it with whatever they deem to be correct for the current supply, if you need an upgrade then they will charge for doing so.
The question is do you actually need a bigger service? Has there ever been a problem with overloading that service, are you adding enough load to require a bigger service.
Remember that adding more circuits doesn't automatically mean that you will be drawing more current. With the increased energy efficiency of most appliances and lamps etc there probably won't be the kind of load you would think at first glance. countimg the number of rooms tells you nothing about the maximum or average demand.

Why do you want a four pole isolator for a single phase supply?

Hi Andy & welcome.
In my experience the DNO will accept responsibility for replacement of the service head if it's Damaged / Faulty. When you mention uprating it though, then they would normally charge for that.
Ok, thanks for that, the price was steep ,will talk with WPD again tomorrow.

No problems, your welcome. Please update us on how you get on?
DNO's are a law unto themselves when it comes to pricing, they know that they've got you in a corner.

No mains gas , they want renewables. So see their point of view . Customers always right

There's nothing renewable about 3 separate electric showers, they'd be better off with a stored hot water system. I'm sure you can still get the solar hot water systems which work quite well and could be topped up with an immersion heater.

No mains gas , they want renewables. So see their point of view . Customers always right

The customer is not always right, that attitude leads to daft and I'll thought out installations. It's far more likely that they are just not aware of all of the facts, you should be discussing all of this with them and lending them the benefit of your knowledge and experience.

There's nothing renewable about 3 separate electric showers, they'd be better off with a stored hot water system. I'm sure you can still get the solar hot water systems which work quite well and could be topped up with an immersion heater.
WE fully agree but the building is listed and planning on that option has been refused as the south facing roof is roadside, solar PV is a no but we are trying with solar thermal.

Reply to Service Head question? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net