Discuss SFCU faulty or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nisioptimum

Shouldn't do it but favour for wife's mate this evening started at 7pm just in, 5 mins walk away, set off at 6.30 am this morning for a proper paid job. Extractor fan pull switch broke this morning would not shift, fan on constantly. Her helpful brother had turned off the right MCB and disconnected switch, stopped fan. Went round with Pull switch with neon indicator ( only had a 2 pole one) Fitted it up put on power nothing, wiring was old colours but switch live sleeved. Then had to go into loft to look at connections, junction box of upstairs lighting circuit feeding SFCU, one wire out from SFCU to time control for fan and one out to switch point. Power indicator on timer unit not lit. Thought fuse in SFCU may have gone, changed it still nothing. Used wago connector to link live and switch live at switch. Restored power used voltage meter, voltage between l in and n in at SFCU, none between l out and N out. Am I being dim or is this a SFCU fault? Drawn lots of different scenarios this seems the only logical solution.
Lessons to learn
Check there is a live connection at switch point before charging on.
Don't start work when tired and arrange a sensible time
don't believe anyone when they say they won't touch anything, had her hubby shout up to loft he couldn't turn MCB back on because I had locked it off. I said because I am working on it he said and I quote "I would have turned back off when I had got my laptop from the bedroom. How long does he thinks it takes to get a shock.

Any advice grateful as always

Have you checked the 'new' fuse for continuity?

Never assume it's in good order as it's fresh out of a pack or dug it out the bottom of your bag

It was straight out of a pack but again sods law applies. I will test tomorrow which was going to be a lie in as planned no work day?

Shouldn't do it but favour for wife's mate this evening started at 7pm just in, 5 mins walk away, set off at 6.30 am this morning for a proper paid job. Extractor fan pull switch broke this morning would not shift, fan on constantly. Her helpful brother had turned off the right MCB and disconnected switch, stopped fan. Went round with Pull switch with neon indicator ( only had a 2 pole one) Fitted it up put on power nothing, wiring was old colours but switch live sleeved. Then had to go into loft to look at connections, junction box of upstairs lighting circuit feeding SFCU, one wire out from SFCU to time control for fan and one out to switch point. Power indicator on timer unit not lit. Thought fuse in SFCU may have gone, changed it still nothing. Used wago connector to link live and switch live at switch. Restored power used voltage meter, voltage between l in and n in at SFCU, none between l out and N out. Am I being dim or is this a SFCU fault? Drawn lots of different scenarios this seems the only logical solution.
Lessons to learn
Check there is a live connection at switch point before charging on.
Don't start work when tired and arrange a sensible time
don't believe anyone when they say they won't touch anything, had her hubby shout up to loft he couldn't turn MCB back on because I had locked it off. I said because I am working on it he said and I quote "I would have turned back off when I had got my laptop from the bedroom. How long does he thinks it takes to get a shock.

Any advice grateful as always
as above check fuse if ok has to be faulty plate if no v on load terminals. are you sure nothing else was done, check fan n timer connections too

Last edited by a moderator:
MCB - JB - SFCU - Seperate Timer Control - Ceiling Switch - Fan

Not been funny, but this isn't sounding to great. A typical 'help a friend/family member' job you have on your hands. Good luck spending all day decyphering that dross.

Can you swipe out the SFCU and timer and put a fan isolator near the ceiling switch (depending on zonal areas obviouslly) to make this abit more normal ? Then stick a time'd fan in? Bit more money obviouslly, but get's the job back onto planet earth.

Sorry should have posted the result, tested fuse worked fine thanks to everyone who confirmed I was not loosing it. Changed SFCU tested and everything worked fine. Then I had "did you break that thing you had to buy". I was so tempted to say yes then you would have to pay for a new one. She had the job done for nothing virtually never once offer a tea even when I adjusted the timer until it was just right for her, 4 attempts. Get home and the wife goes she is a bit of a cow why did I do the job for her!!!!!!!! doh because you told me too. I will choose friends and families jobs from now on.

Hate jobs for family & friends, they seem to think we should do everything for free. Wait till you want a favour from them though, then they'll change they're tune.

Just right her hubby is an accountant ask for him to scan my return, not do it, said fine, £85 to do so. I do my return because it is not complicated money in expenses not VAT registered, do not do enough, still he wants £85. Sorry I will stop ranting good night everyone hope tomorrow brings lots of easy jobs well done with a good rate of return.

Just right her hubby is an accountant ask for him to scan my return, not do it, said fine, £85 to do so. I do my return because it is not complicated money in expenses not VAT registered, do not do enough, still he wants £85. Sorry I will stop ranting good night everyone hope tomorrow brings lots of easy jobs well done with a good rate of return.

Accountants and solicitors are the worst of the worst.

Sorry should have posted the result, tested fuse worked fine thanks to everyone who confirmed I was not loosing it. Changed SFCU tested and everything worked fine. Then I had "did you break that thing you had to buy". I was so tempted to say yes then you would have to pay for a new one. She had the job done for nothing virtually never once offer a tea even when I adjusted the timer until it was just right for her, 4 attempts. Get home and the wife goes she is a bit of a cow why did I do the job for her!!!!!!!! doh because you told me too. I will choose friends and families jobs from now on.
worked in a pub once where i was never offered a drink, thought it was because boss ran a tight ship n staff were scared of possible discipline if he returned. fire officer came that afternoon, he sat at table with manager no longer than a minute before being offered drink/snack. perhaps they didn't realise that it's not just h&s who can make life awkward. i didn't (as 2 wrongs etc.), but thought, 'sorry it's your lunchtime rush but unfortunately the tills will be off for a bit longer'

Tea and buscuits, as much as i love them - are the spawn of satan when at work.

Not being funny, but especially when working with others, you get a brew have a buscuit then sit around looking at page3 and deciding whether you'd 'smash her in' or not and half an hours wasted.

I'm not that fussed without been offered a brew on site to be fair, especially on small jobs - i'd rather crack on and be on to the next client. Time's money and all that.

If it's a big job, and you're not offered a brew then fair enough, you're probably entitled to a riot.

agree (about stopping for 10mins costs 1/2 hour), and i am always drinking cold tea! it's nice to be offered though. like i said, wasn't an 'issue' till fire officer was treated differently.

Tea and buscuits, as much as i love them - are the spawn of satan when at work.

Not being funny, but especially when working with others, you get a brew have a buscuit then sit around looking at page3 and deciding whether you'd 'smash her in' or not and half an hours wasted.

I'm not that fussed without been offered a brew on site to be fair, especially on small jobs - i'd rather crack on and be on to the next client. Time's money and all that.

If it's a big job, and you're not offered a brew then fair enough, you're probably entitled to a riot.

I kind of wish we had days like that, usually have just enough time to qolf down a roll then back to it.

Often we work right through and eat in van on way back home

Reply to SFCU faulty or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net