Discuss Shading on Sanyo HIT240 panels in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

fiardor

Turned up on this instal to put in inverters and found this abortion.

As you can see i have a little bit of a shading problem (11am) to say the least LOL

I have a 150 of these and they are all the same. 10 rows of 15.

Can someone tell me the ramifications as to the by-pass diodes with this amount of shading and them being in landscape?

They all have Tigo optimisers on them but they are gonna do diddly as they have nothing to optimise to!!!

Shading on Sanyo HIT240 panels Sanyo HIT240 - EletriciansForums.net

Well that settles the argument, Sanyo's produce more shade than any other panel.
The cheapest panel you could buy, fitted correctly would have produced more than that.
What has the install company said? Is the customer aware that this is not acceptable? And who is the MCS with, you or the install company?
You did make me laugh though....

With optimisers on each panel, the bypass diodes aren't going to do anything to help you at all. Basically if a panel is shaded it won't produce. See the plot below from my system. You can see the power curves for two Sanyo 235W modules mounted portrate. One is unshaded (apart from the passing clouds at lunchtime) and one has a hard, diagonal, shadow across it which gradually moves across the panel until it, too, is unshaded. Interestingly you can see the vertical elements of the panel kicking in as the shadow uncovers them. There seem to be three distinct jumps of power as the panel is unshaded. In your example with a horizontal shadow on a landscape panel, you might see the same jumps as each section of panel is uncovered from shade.

Shading on Sanyo HIT240 panels {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Last edited:
I though that circuits and bypass diodes, on panels with square cells, were usually arranged like this, with six lines of ten cells, and three (coloured dotted yellow) bypass diodes providing the fastest bypass route across the panel:

Shading on Sanyo HIT240 panels {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Depending on the panel and I think its the 240/250's sanyo's have a different cell string configuration to most other makes ( i can't find the datasheet which shows this but will look),and instead of being of the arrangement as in your diagram with the cell strings running the full length of the module they are in 3 blocks from the top of the module down
ie where you might position a normal panel in landscape due to shade along the lower part of an array ,the sanyo would be better in portrait
As for the effect this shading would have on the diodes ,I think this is irrelevant as the layout is obviously wrong and unless thats changed then this system should not be turned on as it can only cause problems and potentially be damaging to the whole system and if it is turned on then your customer is left with 2/3rds of the system he's paid for .
the only sensible thing to do would be to widen the gap between the rows and I don't envy you the job of trying to get that to happen!
but in my view its the installing company's problem and not yours (unless it's your company of course) and nothing else you can do will solve it.

Last edited:
The HIT250's certainly do have a very different arrangement to most. I don't know if the 240's are the same:

The 250's, considered in portrait mode, have a narrow band across the middle as one bypass region and above and below this narrow band are the other two bypass regions. Most other panels are like the graphic that another poster referred to.

Another interesting thing about this install..the module clips are all on the short side of the modules :banghead:

This is expressly prohibited by Sanyo (as it is by most module manufacturers)!!!

Another interesting thing about this install..the module clips are all on the short side of the modules :banghead:

This is expressly prohibited by Sanyo (as it is by most module manufacturers)!!!

Does anyone know of a table showing which manufacturers allow this? Or is it even more complicated as some manufacturers will permit some of their modules to be clamped like this but not others?

Schott Solar allow clips to be applied to the short side of any of their modules, I do not know of any others who do...

but not sanyo...

the only possible saving grace for this system could be the optimisers, but I'm not clear how they work, and am pretty doubtful that they're going to solve the issue of the shading going across all the strings in the panels.

The panels are H series and the diodes work across the panels instead of vertically. This makes the installation look even more dodgy. The diodes will do little to help the shade in this example.

Oh man what a nightmare!

Well looks like i am screwed, my boss doesnt want me to drop the angle from 30 to 10 degrees which is the only option i can come up with as there is no room to make space unless we remove panels.

I think that there must be a stipulation by the client as to how many panels they wanted cos its ridiculous as no one in their right mind could design this and be happy with it.

I will post photos as soon as i can and we can all make faces.

Stay tuned guys, LOL

Well what a shame, all that money spent on one of the best panels, and learning on this post has to how the diodes work on these panels it is going to produce diddly squat.
Tough call for you, keep your head down but cover your arse, as I am sure this customer will complain when his system produces nothing.
Good Luck

my thoughts now would be get it commissioned now, then go back and make the changes needed to improve the performance next week / week after.

What is the distance between the back of one row and the front of another?

To be getting that kind of shading at 11am in early March is shocking. I just hope that the customer hasn't paid yet. Gutted for them.

Reply to Shading on Sanyo HIT240 panels in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock