Discuss Shocked/buzzed by shower faucet in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Rainer

Dear All,

Sorry in advance if I am posting in a wrong section but I would appreciate your help:

A few days ago while having a shower I got buzzed when I touched the shower's faucet. First I though it was my imagination then I touched it again and felt it again. Although only on my finger where there is a bruise.

I took out my meter and checked AC between the faucet and the drain and it showed 12V. Then I checked between the faucet and an outlet's ground and showed nothing.

Could you help me out here, do I have to worry and call an electrician?

I think its worth getting it checked. 12V isn't a lot but why is it there and if we don't know why we don't know it can't become more.
Could just be a simple bonding issue.

Guys really thanks for the feedback, I am going to talk with the Landlord about this. I guess it is not a new problem and it was present before. Just one more question and sorry for my ignorance. Does being exposed to 12V for a long time on a daily basis have health impacts?

No evidence to suggest it does. At that voltage very little current flows.
Car electrics run on 12V and car mechanics suffer no ill effects.

Guys really thanks for the feedback, I am going to talk with the Landlord about this. I guess it is not a new problem and it was present before. Just one more question and sorry for my ignorance. Does being exposed to 12V for a long time on a daily basis have health impacts?
Without knowing the nature of the problem I would not be using the shower, a given set of circumstances could change the 12V to something more alarming.

No evidence to suggest it does. At that voltage very little current flows.
Car electrics run on 12V and car mechanics suffer no ill effects.

they're just naturally half dead.

Maybe the drain is not earthed ?
But even still, that 12v shouldn't be there !
get an electrician as problem could be in other area's of the instalation.
Leaky appliances or dodgy neutrals.

You must report this to your landlord.

Just this week I investigated a very similar situation...

House earth - very good
Equipotential bonding in place and ok.
Check bonding in bathroom ok
Check supply to aqualisa unit - non existent earth

Supply to aqualisa from socket in loft - hum supply is,2 core cable so no earth.

Replace cable to loft socket & check ZS

All ok now

Hi all,

Thanks for all these answers, just a quick update on the issue. An electrician came eventually in December and yes there is 12V between the drain and the shower head. We checked the fuse box and the 12V adds up, 4+4+4V. He said nothing to worry about as the fuse box has a safety switch (? - sorry I do not know the terms). Nonetheless he suggested to do a proper checkup later on. Our landlord eventually asked for a proper investigation, but nothing came up, he was told that everything is ok, the problem is not present. Just for safety he promised to change the metal shower drain for a plastic one. (How is that going to help?)

So I took out my multimeter again and the 12V is still there. I am puzzled. That cannot be normal. Any suggestions?

P.S. the current is in the shower head as I checked the voltage between myself and the shower head (12V) and myself and the drain (0V)

Last edited by a moderator:
Voltage doesn't exist in one place. Voltage is a potential between 2 points.
When you put your voltmeter between you and the showerhead to get a reading a circuit must exist. So you must be contact with something that has a relationship with the showerhead in terms of a conductive path.
Not to be tested but touching mains voltage has no effect if there is no route to earth or neutral.
By the same principle its possible to work on high voltage lines as long the workers are at that voltage and don't touch earth.
Thats why birds can perch on high voltage lines.

Voltage doesn't exist in one place. Voltage is a potential between 2 points.
When you put your voltmeter between you and the showerhead to get a reading a circuit must exist. So you must be contact with something that has a relationship with the showerhead in terms of a conductive path.
Not to be tested but touching mains voltage has no effect if there is no route to earth or neutral.
By the same principle its possible to work on high voltage lines as long the workers are at that voltage and don't touch earth.
Thats why birds can perch on high voltage lines.

Thanks, sorry for my ignorance, so do you have any suggestions?

Thanks, sorry for my ignorance, so do you have any suggestions?

The fault does not exist with the shower head, the fault exists with those three appliances, they are leaking current into the earthing system, the working earthing system then takes it to your shower head and anything else that is earthed. Find out why these three appliances are leaking. Replace them if need be.

Agree with #16 you need a decent electrician, to say you are okay because your fuse box has a safety switch is the comment of a person who does not know how to resolve the issue. It sounds to me that you have an earthing issue.

Agree with Westie, you need this fixed. You can't be using this in case it suddenly gets worse, which is a possibility. Can you describe your hot water service, was it running and what else was turned on that gave the '12V' and where was this measured?

Reply to Shocked/buzzed by shower faucet in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock