Discuss Should an outside cable splitter be boxed? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

gary2016ww

Hi all,

We are the leaseholder of a ground floor council flat in a small building. As we used to be with Virgin Media, it seems an engineer from Virgin Media has cut the cable which leads solely into our house and installed a cable splitter (situated a couple of feet above the ground) just before the cable goes into our flat. Rather than run a line across the wall of the flat upstairs who are having the Virgin Media installed - 3rd storey), the engineer has run a new line across the bottom part of our living room and kitchen wall to connect with this splitter.
As I don't know much about electrics, my question is, if you're able to help, should this metal splitter be covered with a protective box to protect against weather etc. All the ends of the metal splitter are connected with cables (2 cables on one side and 1 cable on the other). Or is it safe to remain like this?
I have attached a picture.

Many thanks

Regards,

Should an outside cable splitter be boxed? splitter - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
It is safe to remain like that.
The installer has avoided excess high level work by running the cable horizontally at low level (but not considerately).
The connections are F connectors that screw together and so should maintain a reasonable level of weather protection even if a sealant or gel has not been used.
The connections, if not protected, will suffer from weather exposure degradation which will affect the signal quality over time, not dangerous but inconvenient.
I would describe this as a low quality but functional installation.
The splitter would usually be described as an internal splitter.

Needs some sort of weather protection and machanical protection as next to some sort of pathway

Yes safe , but rough and requires improvement.
I doubt the clipping will last long either, that compo does not look the best.

I had VM come to install my cable tv, did exactly the same, a clip every 6 feet, splitter left hanging, when I called up the installation manager, I told him I would leave some feed for the "engineer's" horse, didn't go down to well either, still never mind, got fed up with waiting and finished the clipping and put the splitter in a suitable plastic box I had in my shed.

If you get Virgin back to make improvements, ask them to put a few more clips on the cables and hammer in the nails fully on the existing clips!

If you get Virgin back to make improvements, ask them to put a few more clips on the cables and hammer in the nails fully on the existing clips!
Thanks Mate not going to bother with them, my drive will only hurt their knuckles when they arrive.

Hi all,

We are the leaseholder of a ground floor council flat in a small building. As we used to be with Virgin Media, it seems an engineer from Virgin Media has cut the cable which leads solely into our house and installed a cable splitter (situated a couple of feet above the ground) just before the cable goes into our flat. Rather than run a line across the wall of the flat upstairs who are having the Virgin Media installed - 3rd storey), the engineer has run a new line across the bottom part of our living room and kitchen wall to connect with this splitter.
As I don't know much about electrics, my question is, if you're able to help, should this metal splitter be covered with a protective box to protect against weather etc. All the ends of the metal splitter are connected with cables (2 cables on one side and 1 cable on the other). Or is it safe to remain like this?
I have attached a picture.

Many thanks

Regards,

View attachment 33802
did a dog install that... ruff, Ruff.

Reply to Should an outside cable splitter be boxed? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock