Discuss Should I report or not? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
I was doing an EICR the other day and one of the things I came across was incorrect polarity on a metal ceiling lamp (ES). I checked the lamp connection at the rose and that was ok. So assumed that the problem was earlier, above the ceiling.

I went in today to do some remedials and took the lamp down. checked the circuit and it was fine. I then checked the fitting and the center point of the lamp holder was connected to the neutral. The lamp holder would not come apart so that means it must have been made like that in the factory.

Would you guys report that to the shop? (Swedish, Make sh*t kitchens) or just let it go?

Thanks for any feedback.

Malc

Re: Should I reportb or not?

I often get asked "while you are here would you fit this for me". If it has a name like "billy" or "nobensheesen" I politely refuse. Pile of whatever the Swedish for sh**** is.

Last edited:
Re: Should I reportb or not?

I went on their website when I got in to find a contact number. Nothing at all, no number, no email. it's as bad as their products.

most of the lights 4 letter company makes are crap (or another 4 letters word)
try calling, they possibly say "thanks for calling, we say thank you for information and will call you soon" or some other bs like that.
if you have some spare time go back there, replace the light with something else, bring the specimen home and send it to trading standards or some trade magazines.

I found a number for I**a, recorded message said I would be waiting around 4mins. I hung up on 24mins. Seems like they don't like to talk to customers!!
I replaced the old light with a pendant. Got the old light in the back of the van till I decide what to do with it.
Thanks for the replies.

report everything that dosent comply any observations if only to cover yourself remember youll allways get the blame otherwise last electrician on site ive had that before

He's replaced the fitting, think he was meaning does he report the lamp design either to the manufacturer (so they can see the error of his ways) or somewhere higher like trading standards or whoever the relevant board is in this instance.

If the fitting conforms to BS EN 60238 according to GN3 2.6.13, " The centre contact of screw type lamp holders must be connected to the line conductor (except E14 and E27 to BS EN 60238).

Well, I just got back from a (pressurised) trip to the aforementioned Swedish store and guess what I found? A BC to SES adaptor, so you have a 50-50 chance of having the outer contact live depending on which way round you plug the bayonet in before screwing in your SES bulb. Nice bacon rolls and a free coffee though........

Hi
I was doing an EICR the other day and one of the things I came across was incorrect polarity on a metal ceiling lamp (ES). I checked the lamp connection at the rose and that was ok. So assumed that the problem was earlier, above the ceiling.

I went in today to do some remedials and took the lamp down. checked the circuit and it was fine. I then checked the fitting and the center point of the lamp holder was connected to the neutral. The lamp holder would not come apart so that means it must have been made like that in the factory.

Would you guys report that to the shop? (Swedish, Make sh*t kitchens) or just let it go?

Thanks for any feedback.

Malc

When you say you checked at the rose and it was ok, did you test. If so, how could the problem be prior?

Never assume without testing, surely...

Last edited:

Reply to Should I report or not? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net