Discuss Should I use 15 year old earth cable? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

SnowMan007

Hi all, I'm brand new to the forum. I'm a DIY'er on my third house renovation (over the last 20 years). Having consulted a professional electrician, I know I need to run a new 10mm earth to the water meter. I happen to have a brand new, sealed, 50m roll of it from a previous project. BUT, it's 15 years old and been stored in a shed. Should I use it or fork out for some new stuff?
I can't find any guidance online for totally unused, but old, cable.
Thanks!

Do you have a tester?
Hi Murdoch. No I dont have a tester. I was thinking that the cable is probably OK at the moment but maybe the PVC had a more limited life compared to the rest of the new cabling going in.

Check with the person that will be inspecting, testing, and certificating this job. They will be signing their name to the install so will want to be informed about the choice of materials used I would imagine.

Check with the person that will be inspecting, testing, and certificating this job. They will be signing their name to the install so will want to be informed about the choice of materials used I would imagine.
Sounds like good advice. Thanks Andy78.

i've had a 100m roll of 10mm gn/y for 20 years. still using it as i generally forget to load it on the van and end up buying by the metre at the nearest supplier to site.

I wouldn't have a problem with 15 year old PVC cable, provided that it's not been stored in direct sunlight.

What can I say?. pvc is pretty much life long. If not subjected to the rodents, sun etc it will be fine.

Hi all, I'm brand new to the forum. I'm a DIY'er on my third house renovation (over the last 20 years). Having consulted a professional electrician, I know I need to run a new 10mm earth to the water meter. I happen to have a brand new, sealed, 50m roll of it from a previous project. BUT, it's 15 years old and been stored in a shed. Should I use it or fork out for some new stuff?
I can't find any guidance online for totally unused, but old, cable.
Thanks!
No Mate go and get some from the Wholesalers, it's probably older than the stuff you all ready have

You could throw 500v IR between the insulation and the copper bet you get meg 900 ohms.

Can I use my 20 year old red/black t&e?

Thanks to everyone for your responses. It sounds like the general consensus is that 15-year-old cable isn't that bad. And, of course, it shouldn't be under any load, unlike T&E would be. My friendly electrician also agrees.

Try contacting the manufactures they should be able to give you a exact anwser on their product

Try contacting the manufactures they should be able to give you a exact anwser on their product
Like they are going to be able to give an answer, most of the guys working for these companies were still in nappies when that cable was made, in reality most still are, just bung it in It'll be OK honest

Changed one of the lighting circuits in my house last year to two way using some three core and earth cable which I have had for at least 20 years, nowt wrong with it.

Changed one of the lighting circuits in my house last year to two way using some three core and earth cable which I have had for at least 20 years, nowt wrong with it.

Yes I'm sure that a lot of guys working at the cable manufacture did not work there 15 years ago but the cable would of been manufactured to a standard eg BS,BASIC, ISO/IEC and testing etc would of taken place of the correct make up of compounds used and how they degrade with time as well as their handling/storage

Reply to Should I use 15 year old earth cable? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock