Discuss Should I/would you say anything? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Leader

-
Reaction score
I'm working at a house and the previous sparky has been a bit of a cowboy - end of cable left in gaffer tape, non MF free junction box to be hidden above new ceiling, spur off of a spur, choc blocks everywhere. Would you say anything or just get on with your work and leave? I don't think they seem terribly safety conscious as the husband had drilled through a cable in the wall and just asked the decorator to carefully fill it (I was there).

Are you there doing electrical work on your own, or are you working for someone, you should know it's your duty to point out any dangerous work, think about it if you are doing electrical work, you finish, you get paid two weeks later there is a fire, someone gets injured/killed whose name is the first on the list for blame? yours mate.
If you are doing anything electrical, then some sort of certification is required, enter your findings and recommendations on the certificate, point them out verbally to your customer. Take photos when and where you can and issue these with the cert and keep copies for your self.

I was working in a customers house once wiring up an S-plan for a plumber I know. The house had just been refurbished and rewired. Went down the basement to turn the boiler circuit off and was faced with a complete monstrosity of an attemmpt of a rewire. Went back up upstairs and into the living room where the husband and wife were sat and said "who done the electrical work as it's a complete shower of s**t and probably the worse I've seen". The women pointed to her husband and said that prat over there....We had a bit of a chuckle over it and apologised to him for landing him init. I ended giving them a quote to sort it all out that day which she accepted on the spot :D

Yes you're right, I didn't want to be some tell tale or looking like I was after more work. I didn't go there to do any electrical work but they have asked me to replace 6 wall lights. I've also seen from two of the sockets that weren't fixed back onto the wall (lost the screws) that the sparky wired up that they both had wires that had come out of the terminals. I fixed those issues FOC of course.

Needs to get sorted, if anything happens you are going to have a devil of a job proving it was not you that did it. Do you think the plasterer would drop himself in it to protect you for instance.

Are you there doing electrical work on your own, or are you working for someone, you should know it's your duty to point out any dangerous work, think about it if you are doing electrical work, you finish, you get paid two weeks later there is a fire, someone gets injured/killed whose name is the first on the list for blame? yours mate.
If you are doing anything electrical, then some sort of certification is required, enter your findings and recommendations on the certificate, point them out verbally to your customer. Take photos when and where you can and issue these with the cert and keep copies for your self.
As the box states comments on existing installation ,attach additional page to cert with written points and photo's as appropriate.

Thanks chaps, that has helped a lot. I'll raise the issues with the customer tomorrow. I don't really want to get involved in rectifying the work as a can of worms comes to mind but they will at least have the choice of what to do about it.

Yes you're right, I didn't want to be some tell tale or looking like I was after more work. I didn't go there to do any electrical work but they have asked me to replace 6 wall lights. I've also seen from two of the sockets that weren't fixed back onto the wall (lost the screws) that the sparky wired up that they both had wires that had come out of the terminals. I fixed those issues FOC of course.
Deleted

any dodgy work you come across, it's your duty to point it out to the customer. whether it's him that done it or a third party. sod ruffling feathers. tell it like it is. you're a professional, not a lackey.

Thanks chaps, that has helped a lot. I'll raise the issues with the customer tomorrow. I don't really want to get involved in rectifying the work as a can of worms comes to mind but they will at least have the choice of what to do about it.
take bit of advise , but every thing writing
before you start get them to sign the paper and start taking pics and if it not safe do not energise it .if not walk away.

As others have said you are somewhat duty bound to raise it with the customer, also making note on the certificate. At very least it could save your bacon if something untowards happens later down the line. if the customer doesn't fix it then it s their problem. to help yourself you can always take a few pictures on your phone and show these to the customer and file them in case of future comeback. when working on a CU i take a picture of it when i leave it. that way in the event of a fault after somebody else has tinkered with it i am covered from my end, i can show what i did and didn't do.

Reply to Should I/would you say anything? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock