Discuss Should it not be PA Testing? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

At the start it was P.A.T.
But when everyone was saying I'm going to do P.A.T, Pat got annoyed the term PAT testing evolved.:rofl:

It's a bit like the requirement in BS7671, to record and comment on any dangerous conditions that may present a danger.

Well that's what it's called now, don't know the C&Gs exam number is, but anyone daft enough to take the course ( loosely described) will tell you the same.

I've noticed that it's called PAT Testing everywhere but surely it should be called PA Testing otherwise its Portable Appliance Testing Testing!!!!!:dunce2:

Yes, that is incorrect on two counts:
Firstly as you say, if you call it 'PAT Testing' the word 'testing' is represented twice, like saying 'PIN Number'.
Secondly if you call it PAT Testing then someone will come along and say "the P stands for Portable" and overlook anything they deem insufficiently mobile - anything heavy, screwed down or wired into a FCU doesn't get tested, with no consideration as to who is supposed to be testing it, due to confusion with the name.
Laziness on both counts.
It's called In Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment now.

Agree with the above. PAT testing is a horrible phrase. No just the extra 'T', but most of the process is inspection, and it's not limited to just portable equipment anyway. Daz

I've noticed that it's called PAT Testing everywhere but surely it should be called PA Testing otherwise its Portable Appliance Testing Testing!!!!!:dunce2:

Neither it called ISITEE In Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment

My name's not pedantic Pete for no reason

Last edited:

Reply to Should it not be PA Testing? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock