Discuss **Show Us Your Installs!!!** in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Looks spot on mate.

It's the dis board changes that I struggle with most to get neat, the cables are never always long enough! Some properly neat work on here lads, it nice to see people taking pride in their work!

i just find a lot of its in the planning. I tend to take the internals out and find the best method of entry for cables. Then I connect up the cpcs and neutrals (after testing of course). Then I put the internals back in connect in the meter tails and then finally the lines.

Depending on how many circuits there are, how much time I have and what mood I'm in, I take more time I suppose you could say? I never leave a board a mess and they always look very presentable, however, some end up looking better than others.

I tend to leave a bit of length in the cables which doesn't always help, I can get a normal split board a lot neater than an RCBO board, just because of the space constraints.

Some good pictures on here though.

Sorry it is sideways, this was an effort to bring the previous CCU from ceiling height to more accessible height using Wago Din Rail box

image (7).jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 156
  • image (7).jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 136
Last edited by a moderator:
If the terminals are rated then not a problem, just a bit dog rough at the sake of replacing the back board IMHO.

Edit - I assume there are some blanks for the backboard cutouts but still would have looked more professional with a clean piece of board.

Last edited:
Was never going to be sure what to do, so covered all base with inspection holes. They do have lids in the finished article. The Wago box is not metal, and decided it was not switch gear. Was curious on that point. Cheers

Well there's the same current flowing through those terminals as there is at the CU so wouldn't there be the same risk of overheating and eventual combustion under extreme conditions- although the tails must go straight to the CU in this example ? [I know that the risk is zero with a decent quality and properly installed CU though but that's another thing]. :smiley2:

Was never going to be sure what to do, so covered all base with inspection holes. They do have lids in the finished article. The Wago box is not metal, and decided it was not switch gear. Was curious on that point. Cheers
Didn't realise you had cut the holes, thought they were existing and you had utilised them as there is a hole to the left of your extention enclosure, it probably won't look too bad with cover on holes but if I had come across this set-up I would have just dropped the front board off, clipped the cables down the wall and brought them through, it probably took you longer your way IMHO, but it all a leaning curve and our opinions hopefully help for your future installs.

The din rail box is just a big junction box so wouldn't need to be metal. Just goes to show what a farce the non combustible regulation is as Dave points out about the same current, number of terminations etc. As others have mentioned a new back board would of made a better job.

Scrutiny all helps, part of this was to do the change v quick, so built the housing off site. CCU was all loaded befor arrival and Wago box lower already fitted and cables in it. Had worked out that cables ought to be the right length to reach Wago box as well and so it proved. I had also fully tested the existing circuits prior to the change. As for knitting jumpers, kind of agree but, this was first use of Wago box and kept plenty of cable in hand. After a run of next to impossible boards access wise it was my treat to work on an accessible one.

Re the plastic Wago box thing, I was going to use one on a CU change a while back. Asked my scheme - Elecsa - if I could use it (same circumstances) and was told no, had to be metal as they considered it to be 'similar switch gear'. Spoke to some guy at ConnexBox, who was hopping mad. Then viewed the 'Elex at Harrogate 15' vid, where the panel said they (similar plastic enclosures) were not required to be metal!
Perhaps someday, we'll all look back and have a little laugh at the merry games they played with us.
:95:

Re the plastic Wago box thing, I was going to use one on a CU change a while back. Asked my scheme - Elecsa - if I could use it (same circumstances) and was told no, had to be metal as they considered it to be 'similar switch gear'. Spoke to some guy at ConnexBox, who was hopping mad. Then viewed the 'Elex at Harrogate 15' vid, where the panel said they (similar plastic enclosures) were not required to be metal!
Perhaps someday, we'll all look back and have a little laugh at the merry games they played with us.
:95:

What a joke....there's not even a switch in the connexbox.

What a joke....there's not even a switch in the connexbox.

The funny part, was I replied to their response to my original email about using the plastic Connexbox enclosure (if you follow me) or similar in CU moves.

I pointed out to them that such enclosures would not have mcb/isolators/rcd etc, AND while watching their 'Web in Air' broadcast, THEIR own 'Darren Staniforth' said that when moving/lowering CU's , the plastic adaptable boxes used to house 'all your through crimps, all your connections, that does not need to be metal'.

Their reply was.............zilch. I followed that up two weeks later...........tumbleweed!

Last edited:
8adda0ffb2d3b058a70f4d8798af8355.jpg

I must say I was quite surprised by this MK unit.

My customer supplied this from B&Q for £65inc vat and CB's!!!

Went away from installing them due to poor quality and everything being cheap.
That being said its the most room I've ever had I a amendment 3 unit.
Only down side is the breakers (made in China) are loose on the din rail. That can be sorted with a strip of insulation tape on the fun rail too and bottom though.... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Reply to **Show Us Your Installs!!!** in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net