Discuss Shower Cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Obviously depends on cable calcs, length of run, design current, presence of insulation and other de rating factors. 10mm is pretty easy as long as you dress it in tidy. Could do 2 6mm in parallel as long as they are run the same route same length but I wouldn't bother
Can't do 6mm and 2x 2.5 at all though.

2 x 6mm in parallel easier to connect than 1 x 10mm ? A parallel supply for a final circuit ? The mind boggles.

As gns says, 10mm is not that hard to manage, and if that's what the calcs say, that's the cable you use.

Its not about Cable Calcs.. im more talking about CROSS SECTION AREA

it DOSE say 10mm CSA .. what 2x6mm would be 12mm CSA ..

Thats a Darft Comment Flanders...
as for the 4x6mm to replace a 10mm .. i think you might of read things wrong there

Last edited by a moderator:
it DOSE say 10mm CSA .. what 2x6mm would be 12mm CSA ..

Thats a Darft Comment Flanders...
as for the 4x6mm to replace a 10mm .. i think you might of read things wrong there

It's not the daft really though is it? If you had two cables in parallel that would make 2 cables on the supply side of the switch/pull cord and two cables on the load side of the switch/pull cord making 4 cables.

But the comment Flanders made suggest putting 4x6mm Cables in one HOLE..

But at least the CSA would be ok.. im just shocked that some people dont see that 2x6mm CSA is 12mm CSA and would be, but BIGGER than a 10mm CSA.. I know i come from a Electronics buts basic.

I think I've said this before, but using 47mm deep backboxes helps, as does using a 2 gang (tall) switch if possible. As said, dress the cables well and arrange them carefully so there is room for them as you offer the switch to the box.

Point was that some guy on another forum had 6mm cable put in with 40A MCB that went in to the loft ..
Now with cable calcs that can drop to about 37A also the shower I think was 10K

He had a few electricians, in about it some say 6 and some say 10mm
As the 6mm was it might of been cheaper to put in a 4mm to make it up to 10mm CSA

The other thing was that lot of people didn't seem to understand that a 10mm CSA cable would be that same as 4x2.5mm CSA
What shocked me as I did think that kind of Maths was basic

Plus ten points for thinking outside the box. Minus thirty points for lack of understanding of the regulations and practicalities of installation.

Point was that some guy on another forum had 6mm cable put in with 40A MCB that went in to the loft ..

As the 6mm was it might of been cheaper to put in a 4mm to make it up to 10mm CSA

The other thing was that lot of people didn't seem to understand that a 10mm CSA cable would be that same as 4x2.5mm CSA

The reason that paralell cables are commonly used in larger circuits is that the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. If you look at the current carrying capacity of cables you will see that when the csa doubles the ccc only increases by about half. This leads to a situation where, say, 1x 70mm 4core can be replaced by 2x 25mm 4core and still have the same ccc.
However there are special requirements for parallel cables in he regulations and you need to carefully consider the protection arrangements and ensuring correct current sharing between the cables.
It is forbidden to install different size cables in parallel or for the cables to be different lengths or follow different routes.

As for the 10KW shower on a 40A mcb, it should have a running current of 42A so should be on a 45A supply to start with, however as it is a fixed load you would calculate cable size based on 42A not the rating of the OCPD as overload protection is not required.

Omg so this guy who has a shower installed by and electrician with 6mm cable 40A MCB going via loft.. Is OK with you guys
Sorry I must be in the wrong forum my error minus another 60

Forums ain't for me, I can't read them and tones just don't work for me...

Last edited by a moderator:

No-one in this thread has misunderstood the maths of doubling cables up. People are disputing the advantages and practicalities of doing it in this particular case. And you should not use paralleled cables of differing csa's or type. Daz

this makes me think i've gone all wrong with buying a toyota hiace van, when 2 astra vans in parallel would carry the same weight.

A 10mm^2 conductor wouldn't need 2 * 6mm^2 in parallel for equivalent current-carrying capacity - probably more like 2 * 4mm^2.

Really parallel conductors are far more appropriate for a distribution circuit than for a final circuit, so I wouldn't be advising that approach at all.

As for other suggestions made, you cannot parallel two different cross-sectional areas of cable together as the current flow wouldn't distribute evenly.

Reply to Shower Cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock