Discuss Shower cable in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Cj24

Hi all, I reconnected a shower up last week because the people had up graded there 7.5kw shower to a 9.5kw but left it on a 6mm, the live and neutral had melted together in the pull cord and blown fuse, I puled some slack and remade off and they changed shower to a 7.5kw, it's all worked fine. But Iv just had a phone call saying it's gone again, now I assuming that the cable is previously damaged somewhere else due to over heating, would you agree, I explained I should change cable last time but they dint like the cost

Did you do an IR test on the cable ? This would have given you an indication if the cable was damaged.

Did you advise them verbally or did you put your concerns about the cable condition in either a letter or an MEIWC ?

If you just verbally told them then I'm afraid you might be liable, to repair the problem FOC. Did you issue them with an invoice for the repair to the switch?

Hi all, I reconnected a shower up last week because the people had up graded there 7.5kw shower to a 9.5kw but left it on a 6mm, the live and neutral had melted together in the pull cord and blown fuse, I puled some slack and remade off and they changed shower to a 7.5kw, it's all worked fine. But Iv just had a phone call saying it's gone again, now I assuming that the cable is previously damaged somewhere else due to over heating, would you agree, I explained I should change cable last time but they dint like the cost

What is the installation/reference method for the cable ?

Clipped direct 6 MM = 47 amp.

You may find that the pull cord switch/terminations are causing the heating to the cable which sounds localized.

As above IR the cable and replace switch.

Chris

No I never did an insulation test but will be doing this time, I did the job free last time because family friend, just thought I'd get your opinions on here and see if you thought it was cable, and it's on a bs1361 30amp Wylex fuse at board

As it is a friend then you definately have to go back. To be honest I would have thought that for the amount of time a shower is used that extra 2kw would not have damaged the cable too much.

If you used the old switch again then you may find that is the problem. People have a tendency to switch the shower on/off under load and if it was a 45 amp switch on that 41amp 9.5kw shower, it would weaken and heat the internal switching mechanism causing heat espicially as the switch was old, so I would change that to be honest.

As for the shower being on a cartridge fuse, again I would advise your friends to change that for an RCD, which the chances are the showers manufacturers would have asked for anyway.

Last edited:
Yes I have explained to them they want it rcd'd and poss change of cable but they did not want that, I have changed the pull cord switch and been ok for couple of weeks, yes I know I need to test it etc but just want an indication

tell the tightwads they need to upgrade the installation. bet they didn't baulk at spending oodles on a new shower. 6mm cable shoud just be OK at 9.5kW as long as it's ref. C. 47A. but i would definitely fit RCD/MCB or RCBO. if you are going to sort his out for them as a professional spark, you must work to current edition of BS7671."if they won't pay, walk away".

I totally agree with u, but there saying it worked before so should now, if it wasn't a friend I would walk away, but now I'm unfortunately involved I obv want to do it as safe as poss, i think il megger the 6mm and if not clear il Change it, suppose I can only upgrade breaker but 30amp bs1361 fuse should be ok surely

yes, but if you are replacing the cable, you will have to go down the route of RCD. you tell them that you are prepared to do whatever it takes, but you are bound by the regs . to do it right. if you didn't stick to the regs. and there was a fire or injury, your head is on the chopping block.

Reply to Shower cable in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net