Discuss shower isolator switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

can the shower isolator switch be left ON all the time and the shower turned ON and OFF from the switch on the shower itself.

It should be. The isolator isn't intended to be a functional switch (although often used this way).

As above It's been a long running debate over the years. The isolator is exactly that an isolator not an on off switch.

What..... people actually use the shower isolator switch instead of the shower switch itself? Why?

What..... people actually use the shower isolator switch instead of the shower switch itself? Why?
I don't know. My background is industrial and mostly in three phase variable speed drives and motor controls.
The kit is fitted in enclosures, normally IP43 or better. The panel is fitted with a door interlocked isolator, actually a fuse switch, which may be three or four pole depending on customer specification and padlockable in the off position. The usual spec is load make, fault break, not something it would routinely be used for.

The fixed speed motor panels are fitted with motor rated contactors which are used to break the current in normal operation. On the VSDs, the drive is disabled before the contaactor is opened. In both cases, the contactors are AC3 rated.

Most if not all shower switches are manufactured to BSEN standards that would enable and permit use for functional switching. That said, it's not something I would do myself or encourage customers to do.

Table 53.4 contains info about devices, product standards, and their uses and functions.

You mean you don't know??!! :eek:mg_smile:

These showers do not heat the water as Instantaneously as we would like and to operate the shower switch we have to be standing close enough to the shower to be hit by a blast of freezing cold water until it warms up.

Some of us are a bit too long in the tooth and of too delicate a condition to withstand a deluge of ice cold water first thing in the morning - or at any other time come to think of it!! :wheelchair::15::nopity:

These showers do not heat the water as Instantaneously as we would like and to operate the shower switch we have to be standing close enough to the shower to be hit by a blast of freezing cold water until it warms up

That is pure lazy.... What next,m switch it on via a Bluetooth fob....

These showers do not heat the water as Instantaneously as we would like and to operate the shower switch we have to be standing close enough to the shower to be hit by a blast of freezing cold water until it warms up.

Some of us are a bit too long in the tooth and of too delicate a condition to withstand a deluge of ice cold water first thing in the morning - or at any other time come to think of it!! :wheelchair::15::nopity:

Do you have to turn in your official Geordie membership card after a statement like that ? I thought you were all double hard barstewards up there that took their morning ablutions in the bathtub in the backyard after cracking the ice off the top ?
:tongue3:

Do you have to turn in your official Geordie membership card after a statement like that ? I thought you were all double hard barstewards up there that took their morning ablutions in the bathtub in the backyard after cracking the ice off the top ?

Aye well ..... I'm not very well just now. :sad_smile:

Last edited:
Only in the summer , in winter we do it Geordies way.

Reply to shower isolator switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock