Discuss Shower isolator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
EICR observation - Electric shower does not have an isolator (pull cord or switch). Circuit can be isolated and locked off in the consumer unit which is in the nearby airing cupboard. (This is 1st floor flat).

Is there a reg that says a shower should have a local isolator?

Yes I've got one and use it quite often but just wanted to make sure I haven't missed something that would be relevant, because whilst its an observation I won't categorise it as a C2 or C3 because I'm not aware of a reg that is contravened, or do you know of one?
How could it be a C2?

Did I say it was a C2? Read more carefully!
Well, you don't seem to know how to deal with it? You mentioned fault codes, not I. EICR's are usually done by folks who have the relevant experience, which is the key here.
For what it is worth, the regulations do require it to be isolated, but this can be achieved by using the MCB in the CU, so as far as the regulations are concerned, that is sufficient. In reality, it is good practice to provide a local isolator so that the shower can be turned off in circumstances such as it malfunctioning and not responding to local controls, or bursting into flames or suchlike, or needing to be fault found on or replaced, although in such a scenario I would personally lock it off at the CU. Pretty much the same as washing machines or the like.
If I was doing the EICR, I would probably C3 it, personally, but this will be open to debate. At the end of the day, it is down to the experience of the guy at the coal face.

Well, you don't seem to know how to deal with it? You mentioned fault codes, not I. EICR's are usually done by folks who have the relevant experience, which is the key here.
For what it is worth, the regulations do require it to be isolated, but this can be achieved by using the MCB in the CU, so as far as the regulations are concerned, that is sufficient. In reality, it is good practice to provide a local isolator so that the shower can be turned off in circumstances such as it malfunctioning and not responding to local controls, or bursting into flames or suchlike, or needing to be fault found on or replaced, although in such a scenario I would personally lock it off at the CU. Pretty much the same as washing machines or the like.
If I was doing the EICR, I would probably C3 it, personally, but this will be open to debate. At the end of the day, it is down to the experience of the guy at the coal face.

You're now questioning my experience and you don't even know me!

As I've mentioned before I like to see an local isolator for a shower but there isn't a reg to say it does not comply. But I will mention it in my EICR but won't categorise it.

So if you put it down as a C3 how are you going to justify that when you have already confirmed that it doesn't contravene a reg?

You're now questioning my experience and you don't even know me!

As I've mentioned before I like to see an local isolator for a shower but there isn't a reg to say it does not comply. But I will mention it in my EICR but won't categorise it.

So if you put it down as a C3 how are you going to justify that when you have already confirmed that it doesn't contravene a reg?
No I'm not mate! EICR's are a very responsible undertaking... If you feel you have what it takes then I'm sure you do. I think you are right. The reg's can't cater perfectly for every scenario, a local isolator is obviously good practice. Why can't you C3 it? At the end of the day it is down to you, or me, or anyone else to interpret them as we see fit. You are right, if that was what your were asking, I might have misunderstood the OP. But for what it is worth, I would C3 it, it's just a recommendation, the customer doesn't have to do anything, and probably won't. what I meant was, most showers have a local isolator, for good reasons, and if one didn't I would reccommend it did.
Anyway sorry if I came across a bit wrong, maybe we both need a cold one......

Yes and this can be achieved by throwing the main switch in the CU.
But you wouldn't would you? Most people, even those not remotely electrically aware, would, in the event of the shower throwing a wobbler, look to isolate it locally? Like most of them are?

I would C3 it for the above reasons and maintenance by non electrical persons.

I would like to C3 such a thing but could not as there is no specific reg being breached that I could think of.
Agreed unless the manufacturers instructions suggested so.

I would like to C3 such a thing but could not as there is no specific reg being breached that I could think of.
But you could let common sense override it? After all they are not Statutory, surely you are at liberty to use your experience to make recommendations? The way I see it, you are not going to get into any trouble are you? A C3 is part of a satisfactory report. I suppose you could always attach a separate written note? In such circumstances I would feel obligated to draw it to the customers attention.

Isnt there a reg that states instantaneous water heater, immersions ect had to have 2 pole isolation or was that just for TT.? If no1 would install it this way then there should be a reg no against it or whats stopping people wiring to showers , cookers, imersion heaters, ground source pumps, ect ..straight from cu.?

Reply to Shower isolator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock