Discuss Shower isolator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. yellowvanman

yellowvanman Electrician's Arms

EICR observation - Electric shower does not have an isolator (pull cord or switch). Circuit can be isolated and locked off in the consumer unit which is in the nearby airing cupboard. (This is 1st floor flat).

Is there a reg that says a shower should have a local isolator?

2. sparksburnout

sparksburnout Electrician's Arms

Ain't you got a reg's book dude, or is it in Zwahili?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hellmooth

Hellmooth Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CM Electrical
    I wouldn't bat an eyelid at it.

4. yellowvanman

Yes I've got one and use it quite often but just wanted to make sure I haven't missed something that would be relevant, because whilst its an observation I won't categorise it as a C2 or C3 because I'm not aware of a reg that is contravened, or do you know of one?

5. 7029 dave

7029 dave Trusted Advisor

I am old school, and I like to see DP isolation on fixed appliances.However no reg to say you need to have it. Wrong in my book.

• Like Like x 1
  6. yellowvanman

here here

7. sparksburnout

How could it be a C2?

8. yellowvanman

Did I say it was a C2? Read more carefully!

9. sparksburnout

Well, you don't seem to know how to deal with it? You mentioned fault codes, not I. EICR's are usually done by folks who have the relevant experience, which is the key here.
    For what it is worth, the regulations do require it to be isolated, but this can be achieved by using the MCB in the CU, so as far as the regulations are concerned, that is sufficient. In reality, it is good practice to provide a local isolator so that the shower can be turned off in circumstances such as it malfunctioning and not responding to local controls, or bursting into flames or suchlike, or needing to be fault found on or replaced, although in such a scenario I would personally lock it off at the CU. Pretty much the same as washing machines or the like.
    If I was doing the EICR, I would probably C3 it, personally, but this will be open to debate. At the end of the day, it is down to the experience of the guy at the coal face.

10. yellowvanman

You're now questioning my experience and you don't even know me!

As I've mentioned before I like to see an local isolator for a shower but there isn't a reg to say it does not comply. But I will mention it in my EICR but won't categorise it.

So if you put it down as a C3 how are you going to justify that when you have already confirmed that it doesn't contravene a reg?

11. hotfingers

hotfingers Regular EF Member

Bs 537.1.3 does state that in a single phase domestic property used by ordinary persons the isolation should be double pole as to break both live conductors,hope that helps

• Like Like x 1
  12. sparksburnout

No I'm not mate! EICR's are a very responsible undertaking... If you feel you have what it takes then I'm sure you do. I think you are right. The reg's can't cater perfectly for every scenario, a local isolator is obviously good practice. Why can't you C3 it? At the end of the day it is down to you, or me, or anyone else to interpret them as we see fit. You are right, if that was what your were asking, I might have misunderstood the OP. But for what it is worth, I would C3 it, it's just a recommendation, the customer doesn't have to do anything, and probably won't. what I meant was, most showers have a local isolator, for good reasons, and if one didn't I would reccommend it did.
    Anyway sorry if I came across a bit wrong, maybe we both need a cold one......

13. 7029 dave

Yes and this can be achieved by throwing the main switch in the CU.

14. sparksburnout

But you wouldn't would you? Most people, even those not remotely electrically aware, would, in the event of the shower throwing a wobbler, look to isolate it locally? Like most of them are?

15. westward10

westward10 Sponsored by failure. Electrician's Arms

I would C3 it for the above reasons and maintenance by non electrical persons.

16. 7029 dave

Read my post 5, all in flavor of local isolation , my post 13 was just stating a fact.

17. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

I would like to C3 such a thing but could not as there is no specific reg being breached that I could think of.

18. westward10

westward10 Sponsored by failure. Electrician's Arms

Agreed unless the manufacturers instructions suggested so.

• Like Like x 1
  19. sparksburnout

But you could let common sense override it? After all they are not Statutory, surely you are at liberty to use your experience to make recommendations? The way I see it, you are not going to get into any trouble are you? A C3 is part of a satisfactory report. I suppose you could always attach a separate written note? In such circumstances I would feel obligated to draw it to the customers attention.

• Like Like x 1
  20. bigspark17

bigspark17 Electrician's Arms

Isnt there a reg that states instantaneous water heater, immersions ect had to have 2 pole isolation or was that just for TT.? If no1 would install it this way then there should be a reg no against it or whats stopping people wiring to showers , cookers, imersion heaters, ground source pumps, ect ..straight from cu.?