1. We've split off Commercial Electrician Talk and Industrial Electrician Talk from the main Electrical Forum. Please take note when you're looking for and posting new threads. :) 

Checkout the new Electricians Directory which you can add your business details to for free.

We've also teamed up with an insurance firm to offer you guys some discounted insurance. These guys will customise your insurance to fit your needs perfectly. Enquire using the following pages: VAN - FLEET - PROFESSIONAL INDEMNITY - OTHER TYPES OF INSURANCE.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Checkout the new British Forums, register for free and enter the competition to win a £25 Amazon Voucher!

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Shower isolator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.co.uk.

1. westward10

westward10 Electrician's Arms

Top Poster Of Month

I would C3 it for the above reasons and maintenance by non electrical persons.

2. Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. 7029 dave

7029 dave Trusted Advisor

Read my post 5, all in flavor of local isolation , my post 13 was just stating a fact.

4. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

I would like to C3 such a thing but could not as there is no specific reg being breached that I could think of.

5. westward10

Top Poster Of Month

Agreed unless the manufacturers instructions suggested so.

Andy78 likes this.
  6. Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  7. sparksburnout

sparksburnout Electrician's Arms

But you could let common sense override it? After all they are not Statutory, surely you are at liberty to use your experience to make recommendations? The way I see it, you are not going to get into any trouble are you? A C3 is part of a satisfactory report. I suppose you could always attach a separate written note? In such circumstances I would feel obligated to draw it to the customers attention.

Andy78 likes this.
  8. bigspark17

bigspark17 Electrician's Arms

Isnt there a reg that states instantaneous water heater, immersions ect had to have 2 pole isolation or was that just for TT.? If no1 would install it this way then there should be a reg no against it or whats stopping people wiring to showers , cookers, imersion heaters, ground source pumps, ect ..straight from cu.?

9. sparksburnout

Yup, nice one.

10. westward10

Top Poster Of Month

Most sparks reading a Report with it as a C3 would think nothing of it.

11. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

A note with no code would be the furthest i would go.

I use the logic that the EICR is a technical report as to the safety of an installation based on BS7671. If it is compliant with BS7671 in all ways it cannot warrant a code.
    If I put a code based on my opinion against something that is compliant with BS7671 , the report ceases to be based on BS7671 and becomes open to abuse.

DPG, hightower, Spoon and 1 other person like this.
  12. sparksburnout

Good point. Personally, I have not come across this scenario. As you say, there is no actual contravention. Also, as Westie says, no other Spark reading it is going to get in a stew. At the end of the day the report will be Satisfactory so the Landlords and agents won't look any further. Maybe a written recommendation, attached to the report would be the best way to do it as you say.

Andy78 likes this.
  13. Pat H

Pat H Don't ask, get an Electrician in.

Business Name:
    Sparks of Intelligence
    As others have said if its BS7671 compliant then you can't issue a code, even a C3.
    I'd probably verbally suggest an isolator and email that as well as a recommendation but not include it in the EICR

14. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

As the inspector you can offer your opinion of the installation, and in this box I would include such a comment

DPG, sparksburnout and Andy78 like this.
  15. sparksburnout

Nice to see the OP coming back with some comments or constructive thoughts......

16. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

At the time of posting this he was viewing this very thread 6 minutes ago.... maybe he's composing an update!

17. Advertisement

to hide this advert.