Discuss Shower isolator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.co.uk.

1. sparksburnout

sparksburnout Electrician's Arms

Yup, nice one.

2. to hide this advert.
  3. westward10

westward10 Electrician's Arms

Top Poster Of Month

Most sparks reading a Report with it as a C3 would think nothing of it.

4. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

A note with no code would be the furthest i would go.

I use the logic that the EICR is a technical report as to the safety of an installation based on BS7671. If it is compliant with BS7671 in all ways it cannot warrant a code.
    If I put a code based on my opinion against something that is compliant with BS7671 , the report ceases to be based on BS7671 and becomes open to abuse.

DPG, hightower, Spoon and 1 other person like this.
  5. sparksburnout

Good point. Personally, I have not come across this scenario. As you say, there is no actual contravention. Also, as Westie says, no other Spark reading it is going to get in a stew. At the end of the day the report will be Satisfactory so the Landlords and agents won't look any further. Maybe a written recommendation, attached to the report would be the best way to do it as you say.

Andy78 likes this.
  6. Pat H

Pat H Don't ask, get an Electrician in.

Business Name:
    Sparks of Intelligence
    As others have said if its BS7671 compliant then you can't issue a code, even a C3.
    I'd probably verbally suggest an isolator and email that as well as a recommendation but not include it in the EICR

7. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

As the inspector you can offer your opinion of the installation, and in this box I would include such a comment

DPG, sparksburnout and Andy78 like this.
  8. sparksburnout

Nice to see the OP coming back with some comments or constructive thoughts......

9. Murdoch

At the time of posting this he was viewing this very thread 6 minutes ago.... maybe he's composing an update!

10. yellowvanman

yellowvanman Electrician's Arms

Not sure what you guys want me to add. I've said what I will probably do in post #10. Didn't quite manage to complete all tests yesterday so have to return one day next week, which gives me time to ponder some more!

Will probably include it in the observations but without a code. That way I've mentioned it but it won't affect the satisfactory/unstaisfactory conclusion.

Could extent this discussion further by the fact that the installation only has RCD protection on 1 circuit - on the shower which appears to have been added after the refurb was completed about 20 years ago. Flat is on the first floor. Discuss!

11. sparksburnout

Oh hold on

12. 7029 dave

7029 dave Trusted Advisor

Yellow, you are the guy on the job, if you feel to put a code 3 in, that is absolutely fine, it is only a recommendation, still satisfactory on the report. That would be my take only because that is my opinion, because I like local isolation.It will be up to the client at the end of the day.

13. sparksburnout

Why do we need to discuss it? Your doing the EICR? You challenged me that I was doubting your professional ability.

14. yellowvanman

I just thought I'd let you guys mull that over! I'm sure there will be different opionions out there!

Ok, I'll start with my take. Plenty of C3's, lack of RCD protection on bathroom circuits (light + heater), no RCD protection for concealed cables, no RCD protection on sockets. The only possible C2 could be lack of supplementary bonding between shower/heater/lights in bathroom, but since the consumer unit is in the adjacent airing cupboard I suspect resistance between circuit earths will be OK, but will check!

15. to hide this advert.
  16. sparksburnout

You mean, you want the forum in general to instruct you as to how to do your job? You are undertaking an EICR, it's a tricky old number requiring quite a lot of things, experience, qualifications and so on. Have you got any?

17. yellowvanman

I don't want the forum to instruct me in anything I've just told you want I'm going to do, but I know others will disagree and thats their perogative.

As for experience and qualifications I probably have more than you!

I'm now leaving this thread with no further input!

18. Murdoch

C2 for the lack of RCD protection on the sockets for me.........

19. sparksburnout

Oh dear well that's an awful shame. It just seemed to me that every time you get a bit of a problem you come on here and ask how others would tackle it, not the sort of form for one which such an impressive pedigree? Maybe it's just me....

20. 7029 dave

7029 dave Trusted Advisor

I don't think there is any need Sparks to rip into the guy, we all here to share our experiences and OPINIONS. Listen to uncle Dave.

Dave OCD, Hellmooth and telectrix like this.
  21. GMES

GMES Chief Gorilla Staff Member Trusted Advisor

@yellowvanman and @sparksburnout , not sure what the beef is with you guy's if there even is one but lets keep it professional and out of the thread.
    Cheers.

22. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    as for me, i've had enough of bloody showers. rain all week, getting soaked just getting gear off van, bugger it. time for beer.

GMES likes this.