Discuss Shower Priority Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've often wondered why these units don't seem to be popular in England/Scotland/Wales. They are a big big seller in the North and South of Ireland. Can you see any specific reason why they wouldn't be popular, would it be the cost or is it purely down to lack of knowledge that they're on the market?

Meteor Electrical Wholesaler |Trade Electrical Supplies | Free Delivery UK and Ireland

You know us long enough now as forum sponsors that this isn't some spammy sales ploy, i'm genuinely curious. Any input appreciated, thanks

Eoin

first. if i have a requirement for one of these units, i'll buy one. second, on the description, it says " if shower 1 is in use, shower 2 will become energised". surely it should say "will not"

In 11 years in the industry i can honestly say ive never even seen one of these, let alone installed one. Sorry Eoin but im struggling to see the practicalities of it, excuse my ignorance but im assuming their used where, for instance, two 10kw showers may prove too much load for the main fuse? if thats the case they would be utilised in family homes with 2 bathrooms or small b and b's ?

I priced a job where the incomer was 80a and he already had a 10.5kw shower but wanted another one installed downstairs, i told him the load was too much especially with other items on load. His reply was" we will only have one on at a time, i will make sure". Needless to say i priced it with a priority unit and this was obviously too much money. if the prices were cheaper it might help but then i could make one myself but for the time.

Hi Eoin

Have you any wiring diagrams / installation instructions for these units as would be good to know whats required before suggesting one should be installed.

Many Thanks
Steve

I think they're a little too pricey myself, a lot of places now seem to have showers straight off the boiler so i expect with energy saving and all electric showers will be getting less and less

Even on a 60amp "smaller" fuse the device will merrily chug away on over load 2 times it's In for an hour so chances are even if did have 2 showers running together it is highly unlikely to trip it, not many domestic showers last an hour or more, even when like me you have 3 daughters growing up.

All I can think is that in Ireland the makers of these units have great media

i've used them when fitting an 10 kw electric wet central heating boiler in a house with a 10 kw shower after the experience of fitting an 11 kw boiler in a house and and being told by dno that they needed to run another phase in at lots of money as the property had 2 x 10.5 kw showers already, good bit of kit but a bit pricey although much cheaper than a second phase

I would have thought that a shower priority unit to work at its best would lock out power to a second shower if the first is already running ie A/ prevents B/ or B/ prevents A/.

The way it is stated then a simple change over switch from one supply (ie MCB) would do the job a lot cheaper

I had to do something similar in our static caravan.
Even though it's a static, the supply is from a stump box with meter and 32A commando socket, protected by B32 MCB and 30mA RCD.
We have electric panel heaters, washer, tumble dryer and now a 3kW electric oven after so many problems with the propane one.
So, a little ingenuity with an ACS150 current detecting switch in the oven circuit and a N.O. Contactor in the heaters circuit, the load can be kept within limits for the supply.

The ACS150 seemed quite expensive for what it does though.

Simon.

Yes, while a simple changeover switch would do the same job, the automatic operation is foolproof.
In my case, the current detection threshold was set such that the oven lamp and fans do not operate the contactor, so as soon as the thermostat in the oven switches the elements off, the panel heaters are re-energised.
With a very quick 8 min warmup to 200c, that short duration loss of power to the heaters is insignificant.

Doing a shower tomorrow... Thermostatic mixer!
The faild electric one was incorrectly installed, undersize cable on a 3036 board etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've often wondered why these units don't seem to be popular in England/Scotland/Wales. They are a big big seller in the North and South of Ireland. Can you see any specific reason why they wouldn't be popular, would it be the cost or is it purely down to lack of knowledge that they're on the market?

Meteor Electrical Wholesaler |Trade Electrical Supplies | Free Delivery UK and Ireland

You know us long enough now as forum sponsors that this isn't some spammy sales ploy, i'm genuinely curious. Any input appreciated, thanks

Eoin

The unit shows 40 amp mcb
I have a council spec that is asking for 45 amp mcb
What is the maximum rating of this priority unit

In 11 years in the industry i can honestly say ive never even seen one of these, let alone installed one. Sorry Eoin but im struggling to see the practicalities of it, excuse my ignorance but im assuming their used where, for instance, two 10kw showers may prove too much load for the main fuse? if thats the case they would be utilised in family homes with 2 bathrooms or small b and b's ?
bu then you`v got to ask yourself the question...who the hell needs 1 10KW shower..never mind 2....
over ostentatious indulgance at its very worst....

I would have thought that a shower priority unit to work at its best would lock out power to a second shower if the first is already running ie A/ prevents B/ or B/ prevents A/.

The way it is stated then a simple change over switch from one supply (ie MCB) would do the job a lot cheaper

The problem I see with the priority unit is that it only gives one shower priority ie if the second shower is already running then the energising of the first shower would take power from the second shower before the poor user has finished showering.

If two change over contactors were used then any of the two could operate a contactor coil to take power (via the NC contacts) off the other shower .
Therefore one circuit, feeds two showers, use of any shower prevents use of the other until its use is finished.
If you had a relay big enough say 45A DP change over you could do the same thing.

you could also have more than two showers using this but it starts to get a bit unwieldy with two contactors need for two showers 6 contactors for three showers and twelve for 4 showers and twenty for 5 showers etc unless you had one contactor per shower and its coil at say a lower DC voltage and each shower sending a DC voltage blocked by diodes to each of the other contactor coils, again a bit unwieldy though!
But would be a true priority shower only allowing one to run at any time

The problem I see with the priority unit is that it only gives one shower priority ie if the second shower is already running then the energising of the first shower would take power from the second shower before the poor user has finished showering.

If two change over contactors were used then any of the two could operate a contactor coil to take power (via the NC contacts) off the other shower .
Therefore one circuit, feeds two showers, use of any shower prevents use of the other until its use is finished.
If you had a relay big enough say 45A DP change over you could do the same thing.

The more expensive of the two (on that shop website) has no priority so user 1 could finish showering before user 2's shower would work and vice versa. Like you said :p

Reply to Shower Priority Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock