Discuss Shower pull switch opperating on load in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
A friend of a Friend asked me to go and look at a Shower that didn't work, sure enough it didn't, I took the switch off, and the connections were, to say the least a bit iffy, cores cut out, tried my best to find out who did it and after some detective work he came clean and admitted it was him, changed the switch as a safeguard, all OK until this morning, shower packed up, got there did some checks, found the switch was faulty, he said this was the second time the switch failed, he was leaving the shower switched on at the shower itself but switching it on and off via the pull cord, I reckon switching the load via the pull cord damaged the switch, any thoughts?

A friend of a Friend asked me to go and look at a Shower that didn't work, sure enough it didn't, I took the switch off, and the connections were, to say the least a bit iffy, cores cut out, tried my best to find out who did it and after some detective work he came clean and admitted it was him, changed the switch as a safeguard, all OK until this morning, shower packed up, got there did some checks, found the switch was faulty, he said this was the second time the switch failed, he was leaving the shower switched on at the shower itself but switching it on and off via the pull cord, I reckon switching the load via the pull cord damaged the switch, any thoughts?
What make was the pull cord Pete? Was that your article I have just read in professional electrician?

What make was the pull cord Pete? Was that your article I have just read in professional electrician?
MK Yes it was. I had been talking with Glenn about it, decided not to ask for the letter to be out there on the Forum, as I didn't want to upset/undermine some members, but it seems it was a daft request as many folk will put 2 and 2 together and come to the same conclusion you did when they read PE still nice to be in print at last, got a sort of book I have written about my life as a Sparks but I need to contact my old employer to get it vetted.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem in my home bathroom many years ago. The pull cord switch failed around two times before playing nice (prety sure it's still going to this day, touch wood). During all this the showers had to be replaced once or twice too.

I would most definetly say that using it to do the switching has caused it to fail though, I don't think there would be much design foresight for this to be used as the primary switching device.

Perhaps it is combination of its use and an underlying fault within the shower unit which has cause the failure so quickly?

I had a similar problem in my home bathroom many years ago. The pull cord switch failed around two times before playing nice (prety sure it's still going to this day, touch wood). During all this the showers had to be replaced once or twice too.

I would most definetly say that using it to do the switching has caused it to fail though, I don't think there would be much design foresight for this to be used as the primary switching device.

Perhaps it is combination of its use and an underlying fault within the shower unit which has cause the failure so quickly?
Yes I agree I suppose it's a luck of the draw situation, you takes your choice and hope for the best. Thanks anyway.

Reading up on MK 3164 (just cause I'm bored), MK list it as BS 60669-1 approved, which includes functional switching under load. MK rate that switch at 50A, so that sounds like a warranty claim?

Reading up on MK 3164 (just cause I'm bored), MK list it as BS 60669-1 approved, which includes functional switching under load. MK rate that switch at 50A, so that sounds like a warranty claim?
Yes I agree, can you imagine the hastle,

Not particularly helpful now probably but I try to only ever use the 50A round Crabtree pull switch for showers. Have found them to be so much better than other brands.

not so sure about the switching on load. mrs. tel has been doing it for over 10 years as she hates getting into a shower that comes on cold.

I don't know why people insist of using the pull cord, when a shower has a perfectly serviceable on off switch. Same people don't keep switching their electric oven on & off at the wall :mad:

I don't know why people insist of using the pull cord, when a shower has a perfectly serviceable on off switch. Same people don't keep switching their electric oven on & off at the wall :mad:
So would you install a Shower / Cooker without an Isolation switch then? I only ask because I had my Bathroom refurbished (only because I am old and can't do it myself) and the chaps doing the work told me I didn't need an isolation switch for my shower.

So would you install a Shower / Cooker without an Isolation switch then? I only ask because I had my Bathroom refurbished (only because I am old and can't do it myself) and the chaps doing the work told me I didn't need an isolation switch for my shower.

Nope needs an isolator, but they are not really functional switches IMO. There as an isolator for maintenance or safety. Bet if the shower had a digital clock on it, they wouldn't be using the pull cord all that often.

PS 'Old' more like elder statesman :)

Nope needs an isolator, but they are not really functional switches IMO. There as an isolator for maintenance or safety. Bet if the shower had a digital clock on it, they wouldn't be using the pull cord all that often.

PS 'Old' more like elder statesman :)
You cheeky T--t:D:eek::oops:o_O

Reply to Shower pull switch opperating on load in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net