Discuss Shower wire in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Re: Shower

You have already asked this question here.
Ib < In < Iz

Ib you have calculated as 9500/230= 41.3A
In must therefore be equal to or greater than this and so on standard MCB values you have 45A or 50A MCB
Iz must therefore be equal to or greater than 45A or 50A depending on the device chosen.

Iz, the current carrying capacity of the cable, is dependent on the installation method and reference should be made to the on site guide appendix F or BS7671 Appendix 4 for detailed information.
Compliance must also be determined with the expected Zs and voltage drop of the circuit.
This table provides the CCC for twin and earth cables with varied installation methods.
Shower wire Table F6 - EletriciansForums.net

Thanks Richard.

Threads merged. MMJ if you are asking the same question please just use your original thread from 6 days ago.

9500/240 = 39.6A. use a real voltage, not some half baked euro nonsense.

You really like that phrase don't you Tell "Euro nonsense" mind you I have to agree with you

well, it is. God made us an island for a reason. napoleon came up with the idea of a channel tunnel, thatcher's worst mistake was allowing it to be built.

my van does nominally 32mpg. in actual fact, it does 38mpg. so do i base the cost of a journey based on 32? nope.

Why 240v when the nominal voltage is 230v?

Because the manufacturer's rating of 9500W will be based on 240V. There will usually also be a lower rating for 230V, off the top of my head about 8700W. This is based on the fixed resistance of the heating element, but both these values are usually a bit on the cautious side.

Because the manufacturer's rating of 9500W will be based on 240V. There will usually also be a lower rating for 230V, off the top of my head about 8700W. This is based on the fixed resistance of the heating element, but both these values are usually a bit on the cautious side.

I know some manufacturers give 2 values Andy, but when they give 1 then surly you must use the nominal voltage 230 for your calculations.

What voltage would you use in an exam? I would guess that the the OP is a trainee.

Re: Shower

Hi is anyone tell what cable can I use for 9.5 kW shower . Plz I think it's 10mm and 40A but I m not sure.
Hi MMJ,

Before we go any further can we establish what electrical level you are at (this helps members to answer according to your knowledge and helps us to ensure you are in the right section), if you are designing and installing a cable for a shower then basic cable calculations are required for your installation method... You seem to be asking members how to do this and also asking them to tell you the cable size, unfortunately we don't encourage step by step guides and if you find yourself needing this then I suggest you employ the services of a competent Electrician.
If you wish to show your cable calculations for the install methods then we would be more than happy to nudge you in the right direction if needed :)

Last edited:
well, it is. God made us an island for a reason. napoleon came up with the idea of a channel tunnel, thatcher's worst mistake was allowing it to be built.

I know mate i agree just surprised how many people think because Europe says it's 230 they take it as gospel, when in reality nothing much has altered, maybe some of the new HV installs, but everywhere, don't think so.

I know some manufacturers give 2 values Andy, but when they give 1 then surly you must use the nominal voltage 230 for your calculations.

What voltage would you use in an exam? I would guess that the the OP is a trainee.

I was gonna say we don't know if the OP is a trainee, but DW got there first.

I was gonna say we don't know if the OP is a trainee, but DW got there first.

If he's not a trainee he's certainly not an electrician.

I know mate i agree just surprised how many people think because Europe says it's 230 they take it as gospel, when in reality nothing much has altered, maybe some of the new HV installs, but everywhere, don't think so.

It's been 230v for over 30 years now Pete. Time to move on.

I use 230v because it's in the reg's.

Well the OP has been a member since 2010, he has no posting history so we have nothing to go on, if he is a Trainee on a course he would be best to apply for application to the Trainee forum.

As the OP is now off line and I cannot see the thread going any further until we know his/her background, so I'm going to close thread until we get some feedback. (MMJ - please PM a staff member with regards to the points I have put to you regarding your Electrical knowledge and level, if we are satisfied then we will be more than happy to re-open the thread, we may also relocate it and alter the advice given if this is a DIY project).

Tel, Pete and Andy - we are going a little off track with the voltage talk but feel free to start a new thread on the matter as this one is been closed for the time been. :)

Last edited:

Reply to Shower wire in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock