Discuss Single Phase to 3 Phase in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

RGawley

Hi All

Has anyone come accross this yet? a friend of my fiance has opend up a Beauty Studio, she has purchased a 3 phase Sun Bed, i have not come across this yet but im more than willing to learn with your help, the stats of her Sun Bed are:
12.5KW
3 Phase
25Amps per phase (or 80Amps 1phase)
Can anyone help me by explaining what i would need to do to get it working?

Thanking you

Ry

Phone the DNO and ask them to upgrade supply for her salon
locate instruction manual for the sunbed
follow instruction manual to convert to single phase
decide on your cable route , type ect
pick said young lady up off the floor when she finds out the price DNO want to upgrade her supply
Pick her up off the floor and dust her down when you tell her exactly how much the materials are going to cost bearing in mnind it may end up working out at 25mm cable required and switch gear
Stand behind her to prevent her falling to the floor when you tell her how much your labour will be

the stats of her Sun Bed are:
12.5KW
3 Phase

Sounds high for a sun bed, are you sure this is correct info?

I'm assuming you checked the supply for the premises to make sure it's sufficient to run this thing before it was purchased. If so you'll need to get an electrician to install a dedicated supply for it and connect it up. He may need to configure it for single phase or 3-phase depending on the existing CU arrangement.

If the existing power is insufficient you'll still need an electrician who will specify an upgrade required to the DNO. They'll charge you for thisI imagine, then the electrician will install an appropriate supply circuit to the sun bed as above.

To be honest with you there isn't a great deal you can do for a load like this. Most single to 3 phase converters are design for industrial/commercial applications and for motors.

Your only real options are to ask your local electrical supplier to provide a 3 phase installation, which could be horrendous in price, or get a smaller single phase bed

or get the clients to visit a warm and sunny country.

You don't need a converter, just wire it up single phase providing the supply will take it.

It won't have 3 phase motors in it just lamps spread arcoss 3 circuits.

Hi All

Has anyone come accross this yet? a friend of my fiance has opend up a Beauty Studio, she has purchased a 3 phase Sun Bed, i have not come across this yet but im more than willing to learn with your help, the stats of her Sun Bed are:
12.5KW
3 Phase

Thanking you

Ry

Holy Hell! You could power the lights on Blackpool seafront on that. Are sure it's a sunbed and not a industrial kiln?

I’ve got a drawing somewhere in my wonderful filing system for converting a 3ph sunbed to single phase. But bear in mind the load of the sunbed added to the rest of the installation is going to be pushing the supply to the limit.

PS I’ve also got a drawing for a 2.6MW furnace for instant tanning! It’s single phase as well.

Just had a look at the supply last night, there is a 3 phase supply into the building but it is split up, the main supply comes into an apartment block or 8 apartments, L3 is feeding a consumer unit in her Studio and the other 2 supplies go to the apartment block, there is 4 meters, 1 main meter for the overall supply and 3 individual meters on the 3 phases. ive told her to get permission from the owner to take a 3phase supply litterly less than 10meters from the mains then into an isolator.
I have looked at the spec on the Sun bed and it is 12.5KW, aparently she won it in a compition...

I have looked at the spec on the Sun bed and it is 12.5KW, aparently she won it in a compition...

I would advise her to back it into the action market since she hasn't planned or budgeted for it within her business plan.

However, there is a 3-ph supply and the loading is 18A per phase. So it wouldn't be impossible to make it available.

You still need DNO/landlord involvement re 3 ph supply and as there are flats included in the 3 ph head i doubt they would "add it in"

You still need DNO/landlord involvement re 3 ph supply and as there are flats included in the 3 ph head i doubt they would "add it in"

Got on to the DNO and landlord, forms to fill and i will go from there, Thank you for all you help every1

Reply to Single Phase to 3 Phase in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net