Discuss Site agents rule the world in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just done a health & safety course ,it says you must wear a hat if there is a danger of being hit on the head.
Safety footwear can be used,if there is a risk of your foot being injured,it's great ain't it.

Sigh.........hard hats, safety goggles, ear muffs sorry defenders, toe 'tectors, hi vis jackets, washing & toilet facilities, canteen etc etc. Makes you wonder how we survived all those years ago :)
Ah the good old days eh? Number 2s behind the nearest hedge, washing facilities no existent, wear what you like, stir your tea with a metal wall tie, up to your knees in mud, those were the days.

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.
He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
- Why the early bird gets the worm;
- Life isn't always fair; and
- Maybe it was my fault..

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge). His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers:
I Know My Rights
I Want It Now
Someone Else Is To Blame
I'm A Victim
Not many attended his funeral because
so few realized he was gone..
If you still remember him, pass this on.
If not, join the majority and do nothing.

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.
He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
- Why the early bird gets the worm;
- Life isn't always fair; and
- Maybe it was my fault..

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge). His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers:
I Know My Rights
I Want It Now
Someone Else Is To Blame
I'm A Victim
Not many attended his funeral because
so few realized he was gone..
If you still remember him, pass this on.
If not, join the majority and do nothing.
Excellent post well said ruston couldn't agree more.

I have a memory of sat in the works canteen eating my sandwiches, which was actually a container that housed all the site materials, boxes & cable drums were seating, a 3 bar electric fire was the site microwave, the toilet was round the back of the container, and the hand washing facilities were...well non existent. The heating for the container was, a donkey jacket, and nobody was wearing a hard hat, cos they hadn't been invented.

Least you could wear shorts if you wanted :)

No but felt liked i would of like to,just realised I didn't like him,he didn't like me,he said I had attitude,I've never had attitude in my life.
I got kicked off site once because I refused to write the word SPARE on a spare way in the db. the way i looked at it is someone came along and installed another circuit then it's got the word spare written on it.
You can tipex it out or get a sticker I guess but it looks messy.
Ridiculous really when I look back on it.
Site manager was an ar*e tho!

It seems to be the way it is now. The last site I was on we had to wear steel toe cap boots with sole protection, hard hat, gloves, safety glasses and if we took any of them off at any time while on the actual work site (not canteen) then it was a warning 2 warnings and the 3rd you are off site for good, I got told off twice for taking my glasses off just to wipe them as they was fogging up (they was anti fog glasses but I work very hard so still steam up) I even told him it was a lot more safe for me. To take them off and wipe them then to walk around not being able to see any thing in front of me but he didn't care that was the rules. I even cut my finger while working as I could not even see my hands properly to see what I was doing so stabbed my self with a screwdriver but again that was my fault for not working safely but if I had tried to wipe them and got caught I would of been off site haha its stupid.

Crazy world out there,really don't do any favours for us,all we wanna do is get a days work done,I really don't go to work thinking I'm gonna die today,if I ain't got my essentials on .

Reply to Site agents rule the world in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net