Discuss Sleeving 3 phase cable to single phase cable in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kodr

When sleeving a 3 core 3 phase Brown, Black, Grey cable as a single phase cable, which core of the Black and Grey are to be sleeved as Neutral and Earth.
Some lads are saying Black as Neutral and others are saying Grey as Neutral.
I can't find a specific answer in the reqs.

Although ive also seen both ways used, from my experience grey as neutral and black as earth seems to be the preferred way, ive worked on some big sites for national contractors and thats the way their engineers always specify.

Be careful I was shot down on here because someone said they could never think of a situation where a black would be used as a earth even if it's sleeved up, I've seen it used many times with a 4core SWA for motors and still they keep on and on ..................
Although ive also seen both ways used, from my experience grey as neutral and black as earth seems to be the preferred way, ive worked on some big sites for national contractors and thats the way their engineers always specify.

Any combination is acceptable as long as both ends are fully sleeved and if required marked up, but as others have noted the common practice is to have grey as your N and black as your cpc.

Others on here would say that's a waste of a three core cable and then when you point out an internal cpc they question your capabilities and say they have never heard of a (sleeved of course) black cpc perhaps they only deal in T&E lol
Any combination is acceptable as long as both ends are fully sleeved and if required marked up, but as others have noted the common practice is to have grey as your N and black as your cpc.

Others on here would say that's a waste of a three core cable and then when you point out an internal cpc they question your capabilities and say they have never heard of a (sleeved of course) black cpc perhaps they only deal in T&E lol

Ive been on here nearly 4yrs and gave similar advice for similar question plenty of time and never has anyone said its a waste of a 3core cable, the OP explained the angle of the question in that he is utilising a 3core brn/grey/blk cable, section 514 regs dosn't specify any preference if changing a colour code of a cable so he has asked if anything exist regarding this. There is no reg' to which he questioned ut common practice is that the grey is recoded as N (blue) and black as CPC (G/Y) but at the end of the day this is just personal choice and neither good or bad practice which ever way round you choose, also to note if you have old colour coding and new colour coding within the same joint, housing, CU etc you either sleeve all to match the new colour code or identify all conductors with labels or letter sleeves as to their designation.

Not sure where your coming from with your quoted reply i sense you trying to create debate where none exists ...apologies if wrong but you are gaining a bit of a reputation ;)

I believe this de-neutralising the black is something the NICEIC dreamt up.
Never really understood their reasons.
Seems reasonable to me, that if the black used to be neutral, and now you have a choice of black or grey to be the neutral, that people will opt for the old colour, rather than a colour that's totally unknown.

Seems reasonable to me, that if the black used to be neutral, and now you have a choice of black or grey to be the neutral, that people will opt for the old colour, rather than a colour that's totally unknown.

Thank god its not just me lol
My 'black' now gets sleeved 'blue' :)

What about using the armour as CPC, what colour is that to be marked off as? Old was bare and shiny so i take harmonised is something much darker and harder to see? How about dark yellow?

well, they would have done if common sense had prevailed, but you can't expect common sense when dealing with faceless pratts in the EU. that's why we have these stupid negative colours now.

I was always taught to use black as neutral but like what's been mentioned as long as its clearly identified I don't think it matters.

Have to agree with Spin - that's how I do it. And also sleeve up the black as blue. Thinking, if a numpty looks at the cable they've been 'told' twice what the neutral is.

i agree especially when an installation is partly wired in "proper" colours, else you have black for neutral and grey for neutral. where were the IEE when thse stupid harmonised colours were first proposed: fast asleep in their kennels. EU says roll over, IEE rolls over.

Reply to Sleeving 3 phase cable to single phase cable in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net