Discuss Smart home rewire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

conrad

-
Reaction score
Just purchased a new house, going to be rewiring... Anyone have any experience with smart home any wiring diagrams/plans/tips/ideas... any input greatly appreciated. Maybe just installing cables for future proofing etc. at the moment. Early doors. Cheers.

Take a good look before you leap. Depending on the system you pick, the wiring could be radically different and in some cases, perhaps non-existent.

I've no personal experience on installing this stuff but it is something I'm interested in. Went to a NAPIT Trade Association meeting last week, we had a talk by Gira about their solutions. Much of their stuff is wireless, so no switch wiring.

They have retrofit style devices and DIN rail mounted gear that you could fit from day one, so concentrate your lighting control say in one location, this approach obviously has very different requirements on the wiring front.

But I would definitely investigate thoroughly the option before you rewire.

Thank you... I need to do some research... I was thinking for future proofing .. possibly wire conventional and add extra elv/Lv cables that may be required for systems etc. Needs to explore different systems.

Controlling via smart phone apps or remote control via central hubs etc not sure myself at the moment. Haha but wondered if anyone has done similar.

Id just put conduits in the walls and mark up where they are on the floor above for the switches on the ground floor and you won't even have to bother about it on the first floor if you have an accessible loft, then you will be covered either way. Unless it's a plug and play kind of system with a plug already on it that won't fit down the tube!!

I'm just getting into this myself. Have a look at the LightwaveRF kit. You can replace standard sockets, light switches etc, with wireless controlled units. If you ever want to move, you can return it to standard again. This also work with Amazon's Alexa, so you can voice control stuff.

I tried Samsung's Smartthings, but I found they've made it all too smart and it doesn't work properly!

I was reading on another forum, about a guy who had used the Amazon's Alexa. He had connect lights and sockets to the thing, and sat in his living room and say; 'Alexa, turn on the main light, Alexa turn on the table lamp etc etc'. Which I thought was a waste of money. Just get orrff your fat arse, and turn the light on yourself! :mad:

Hi Midwest, voice activation is perfect for the old and disabled. Bet you would not consider a TVs without a remote control preferring to sit on your fat arse, so what's the difference?. Same was said about a TVs remote years ago but that's progress. Think of it as business opportunity get trained and embrace it!

Nope, its the only exercise some people get to turn the light on. Unlike a telly, a light is either on or off. How many times do you need to vary the dimming of a light in an evening? If you were fortunate enough to have a home cinema room, I could understand the concept. Most of this stuff is driven by manufacturers convincing people you need this stuff. Bit like they convinced us all to buy a cheese fondue set in the 70's.

As for voice activation for the elderly, they would think you are quite mad :)

Energy consumption is a big one with this tells us what ur using and calculatested etc... if somethings left on your phone will alert you wherever you are so u can switch off... handy for many reasons...

As a plumber I have a lot of experience with wireless systems and as far as I know they all still need 230v power supply.
Nest thermostat- 230v permanent live - low voltage power to the thermostat
Hive- 230v permanent live - low voltage power to the thermostat
Worcester Wave - 230v to boiler- low voltage to thermostat

Lights- require the lights on permanently and the voice control is basically a switch inside the light bulb
Sockets- require a plug that is put into socket and then the plug plugged into this
tv's - have voice activation built in

So this smart technology is not cable free- problem is that batteries just aren't powerful enough or last long enough

We are a long way off being battery powered houses!!

Try looking at POE for lighting all run on CAT5, all part of the internet of things. The world is changing fast 7 years of the iPad and now we can't live without this tech. Even bigger changes are in store for the lighting industry.

Iv done cat 5/elv for digital dimming/dali systems but that's all for large scale on commercial. Can be expensive aswell need digital dimming light fittings lighting control modules (LCM) push to make switches... im looking into this lightwaverf system as suggested very simple traditional wiring and just wireless switches and sockets stralight replacement with reciever at router.

I was reading on another forum, about a guy who had used the Amazon's Alexa. He had connect lights and sockets to the thing, and sat in his living room and say; 'Alexa, turn on the main light, Alexa turn on the table lamp etc etc'. Which I thought was a waste of money. Just get orrff your fat arse, and turn the light on yourself! :mad:

The link to Alexa is another tool in the box of automation. And this will be useful for people who find it difficult to "Just get orrff your fat arse," and to be able to turn lights on/off or switch off the telly and all the boxes etc that go with it, just by voice command, will be very useful. I'm thinking of getting one for my elderly in-laws who like to switch the telly and other stuff off at night, but struggle now to reach the switches. One command can switch everything off in one go.

The Lightwave app also allows you to set up timers, so you can switch lights, telly etc off when you're out. You can also switch lights on wherever you have a phone signal, which is good if you're a bit late home and want to give the impression someone's in as it gets dark.

Whatever works for your elderly in-laws. For mine, God rest their soles, they struggled with cordless phones, remote controls etc. Mother in-law got used to her Sky remote, as it was on most of the day and night.

Reply to Smart home rewire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net