Discuss Smart meter problem - outside UK in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Smart meter installed. The electricity supplier provides an hourly analysis of electricity consumption on their website. The hourly consumption (kwh), except for the odd anomaly, appears to reflect what is used, but the daily total (also kwh), which is used for billing, appears to be an entirely different (much higher) figure.

The problem might be a faulty water pump in a well.

Can anyone explain ?

Smart meter installed. The electricity supplier provides an hourly analysis of electricity consumption on their website. The hourly consumption (kwh), except for the odd anomaly, appears to reflect what is used, but the daily total (also kwh), which is used for billing, appears to be an entirely different (much higher) figure.

The problem might be a faulty water pump in a well.

Can anyone explain ?
What is wrong with the pump? what is the difference between your estimation and the amount the DNO is charging you?

What is wrong with the pump? what is the difference between your estimation and the amount the DNO is charging you?

The (only) reason for suspecting the pump is that the problem disappeared around the time that the pump was changed.

House with normal daily consumption of about 2kwh. Billed daily consumption of about 20kwh.

Brianposter, don't think anyone can explain that sort of discrepancy without seeing the full picture you deffo need to contact your supplier and ask for an investigation.

Brianposter, don't think anyone can explain that sort of discrepancy without seeing the full picture you deffo need to contact your supplier and ask for an investigation.

I suspect that the supplier is simply incapable of referring the problem to anyone who might be able to come up with a solution.
We will simply go ahead and claim a refund, but obviously I would prefer to have some understanding of what has happened.

Can't really think an energy supplier would not be able to find the problem, you are outside of the UK and asking this question is a bit simplistic, where about are you situated ????? without actually looking at the installation it's extremely difficult to advise, there is obviously something amiss with your metering, perhaps if you can tell us whether it's a private supplier or an official one, if it's the former I would hazard a guess they are trying it on. More information is required really, members can sometime come up with a logical solution to problems, but simply disregarding sound advice wont help you.

If the pump (your pump) was faulty and now the problem has gone, you won't get the supplier to refund for what was apparently genuine energy consumption.

To alI appearances it is not genuine energy consumption. The only visible problem is on the suppliers website, where it appears that they cannot add up.

They have a web page showing hourly consumption and the total for the 24 hours is entirely different from the supposed daily total.

It is me that is wondering about the water pump.

As for consulting the supplier, we have already done so four or five times but they are one of those suppliers that concentrates on wasting peoples time if they think there might be a claim against them

To alI appearances it is not genuine energy consumption. The only visible problem is on the suppliers website, where it appears that they cannot add up.

They have a web page showing hourly consumption and the total for the 24 hours is entirely different from the supposed daily total.

It is me that is wondering about the water pump.

As for consulting the supplier, we have already done so four or five times but they are one of those suppliers that concentrates on wasting peoples time if they think there might be a claim against them
Is it a daily total that is being displayed or a running total that is updated daily ???

The (only) reason for suspecting the pump is that the problem disappeared around the time that the pump was changed.
House with normal daily consumption of about 2kwh. Billed daily consumption of about 20kwh.

When I read this, I thought this sounds normal - 2kwh (ish) each hour during observations and 20kwh recorded for a daily total. Perhaps I have missed something?
Edit - sorry, just re-read it- you think you are only using 2kwh in a 24hr period.

When I read this, I thought this sounds normal - 2kwh (ish) each hour during observations and 20kwh recorded for a daily total. Perhaps I have missed something?

No. Empty house recorded as using about 0.08 kwh per hour. Occupied house uses only a little bit more.

Hi Mate, could be me reading the post incorrectly (I'm prone to that sometimes) but a thought occurred to me, are these figures you are quoting from their website, are they fictional ones, to show the benefits of having a smart meter, or are they actual consumption readings, not trying to be a smart ares? it was just a thought.

Hi Mate, could be me reading the post incorrectly (I'm prone to that sometimes) but a thought occurred to me, are these figures you are quoting from their website, are they fictional ones, to show the benefits of having a smart meter, or are they actual consumption readings, not trying to be a smart ares? it was just a thought.

The hourly readings are real and checked for credibility by switching things on and off. When we started checking they seemed to have the date out by one day but that seems to have been fixed.

Can you take a screen shot and post it on here? That may help....

In the case of consumption "disputes" I always recommend taking a reading once per week.... or more often, to look for a trend.

The last one revealed the kids were using the electric heater in the conservatory when mum was out!

Can you take a screen shot and post it on here? That may help....

In the case of consumption "disputes" I always recommend taking a reading once per week.... or more often, to look for a trend.

The last one revealed the kids were using the electric heater in the conservatory when mum was out!

Unfortunately I cannot post a screenshot immediately because
a) The fundamental problem has disappeared.
b) As a result of our enquiries the distributor has "amended" the historic consumption figures on their website.

Fortunately I had printed off one page which I hope I will be able to scan in the next day or two

Reply to Smart meter problem - outside UK in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock