Discuss Smart meters problems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Im an electrician myself and I couldn't understand the problem. Surely the neutral is just for the lcd to work?

This is the second guy that's come to do it. The first one made a big deal staying it's unsafe if he touches it it could be a disaster etc.

The stupidest thing is he said he can't do the gas as it needs electric to work lol.

There's not a separate live to the CU. the neutral has been taken from the cutout directly to the CU and not from the meter to the CU. it makes difference at all to the metering of the supply.

Yeah misunderstood the op. Made more sense when I saw the sketch.

From my understanding the smart metre needs the neutral supply for self power operation. Not that they would take a lot of power but it means the users are not paying for the cost of metre operations, if that makes sense.
From this particular installation I,m guessing the metre installers don't carry tails or re prohibited from changing the characteristics of a current installation.

Sorry misunderstood though you ment t3 at the cut out. The tails come through the wall from the cut out to the meter. The meter isn't in with the cut out

View attachment 36475
Yes seen this set up as stated in previous post. I don't fit smart meters. (not smart enough), however changed plenty of this type meters, I just bung up the third terminal, as far as the Electrical theory it does not matter the N is returned at source . I can't really comment anymore.

Get an electrician to change it ?
move the neutral wire that curremtly go from the incoming supply to DB,
move it so it goes from DB to smart meter !
Where can he find some electricians chaps ???
anyone know ???

:)

Been reading up on smart meters & if you change suppliers you need to change the smart meter again as the software is supplier specific . How smart is That !

Not convinced on that one. Surely a firmware upgrade at most. Can't believe a standard Siemens meter would need ripping out.

They are set up to work with ther own tarrif supplier rates and like NHS systems are not interractive so i've read . I wait to be corrected .

I call BS, but I am also willing to be corrected :) I reckon they could upgrade firmware over the mobile network quite easily.

Reply to Smart meters problems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net