Discuss smoke alarm grades new build. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I am pricing for a new build property and the schedule of works shows the system as

1. Provide and install an automatic fire detection and alarm system inaccordance with BS 5839: Part 1 to L3 standard. Electrician to provideon completion a wiring certificate confirming that the wiring to smokealarms conforms to the current I.E.E regulations. A copy of thiscertificate is to be forwarded to inspecting authority.

On the electrical drawings it shows it as a standard domestic system - heat in kitchen, smoke on landing/hallway - standard stuff.

I haven't been on commercial sites for a long time but L3 is a commercial fire alarm isn't it?

Many thanks

Dave

Hi,

I am pricing for a new build property and the schedule of works shows the system as

1. Provide and install an automatic fire detection and alarm system inaccordance with BS 5839: Part 1 to L3 standard. Electrician to provideon completion a wiring certificate confirming that the wiring to smokealarms conforms to the current I.E.E regulations. A copy of thiscertificate is to be forwarded to inspecting authority.

On the electrical drawings it shows it as a standard domestic system - heat in kitchen, smoke on landing/hallway - standard stuff.

I haven't been on commercial sites for a long time but L3 is a commercial fire alarm isn't it?

Many thanks

Dave

http://www.aico.co.uk/What-do-I-fit.html

Attachments

• smoke.PNG
    92.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
You should clarify this if it is a domestic premises as not only is L3 non-domestic, but in fact all of BS 5839-1 is non-domestic.

BS 5839-6 is domestic. As stated the categories are LD rather than L in Part 6 to signify that they are for dwellings.

Hi,

Many thanks

Dave

You should clarify this if it is a domestic premises as not only is L3 non-domestic, but in fact all of BS 5839-1 is non-domestic.

BS 5839-6 is domestic. As stated the categories are LD rather than L in Part 6 to signify that they are for dwellings.

Fire alarms in dwellings - IET Electrical

LD3 is perfectly compliant for standard domestic installs. I have fitted LD1 in domestic situations where the builder made a drastic mistake.

Not a very clear spec and not a lot of information on the building use and layout

I'm thinking if the building is flats with communal areas then system is intended to be to BS5839 part 1 because of number of floors or other factors. Without a proper fire risk assessment in place it would be silly to make any assumptions without seeking further clarification from the client

thanks for info everyone.

I think the schedule of works info is wrong imho as its tiny 1 bed domestic bungalows. I have a detailed electrical drawing and this shows 1 heat and 1 smoke in each.
I was just unsure of the L3 reference. I'll clarify this with client tomorrow.

many thanks

Fire alarms in dwellings - IET Electrical

LD3 is perfectly compliant for standard domestic installs. I have fitted LD1 in domestic situations where the builder made a drastic mistake.

I didn't say it wasn't. I said that L3 is not a domestic fire detection and alarm system. LD3 and L3 are not the same thing.

Incidentally, it is overly simplistic to state that LD3 is acceptable. In Ireland - both north and south - a minimum of LD2 is required. Scotland may also be similar.

Reply to smoke alarm grades new build. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net