Discuss smoke alarms do i have to.. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sivoodoo

Im wiring up a new extension to a house and am installing smoke and heats in the new extension.

Am I obliged to put interconected smokes in the rest of the house?

Thanks
Si

Yes, minimum of Grade D LD3 system to be installed when an extension is put up. The requirements for this sort of system is optical smoke alarms at top and base of staircases (escape route) interlinked with battery back up. Smokes at head of stairs must also be within 3m of bedroom doors.

Customer won't get there project signed off by the LABC without them. In other words they'll have to either like it or never be in a position to sell their house if they want to move on in the future. Best bet is to get the building inspector involved, i'm sure he/she'll put your customer straight.

Just looked it up in Electricians Guide to Fire Detection.

7.5m from habitable rooms. I must admit I thought it was 7 too.

I was going to run and get my book but I kinda thought you may beat me to it anyway lol

At least if I had have fitted them within 7m of habitable rooms then I would have been okay within the 7.5m ;)

I think that's 7.5m Dunc.

Within 7.5m of all habitable rooms, however a recommendation is made that there is an alarm fitted within 3m of all bedroom doors to provide sufficient sound levels to wake the occupants in an emergency. It's all to do with trying to ensure 75dB at the bed head of some or all of the rooms. If you look at this pdf document which is an overview of BS5839:pt6 it gives details of siting alarms with the 3m reference made in 'Alarm Sound Levels'.

Last edited:
Ask the BC to put that in writing incase of any problems in the future, cover your back mate, could save you time and money if the owners sell up in the forthcoming years.

Why on earth would someone NOT want smoke alarms in their home? I bet they wish they had agreed when they end up cremated in their own home lol

Dipsticks!!!!!! :(

I'm still trying to get my head around this one?

Who is signing the work off? If it's you then I would advise speaking with your scheme provider also :thumbsup

Get the customer to sign a disclaimer that you have advised your course of action and they are knowingly going against your professional advice
Put a sentance stating that they are liable for any addtional costs and legal come backs (such as home insurance not paying out)

Why on earth would someone NOT want smoke alarms in their home? I bet they wish they had agreed when they end up cremated in their own home lolDipsticks!!!!!! :(
I had this last week, I offered to install a heat and smoke detector whilst installing a house alarm. He said no, we have a battery smoke detector top of the stairs! Fare enough at least he has one but two hard wired into the alarm is much better.

This has came up with me and a few customers and i asked building control for southend area and basildon area in essex an they both said a small single storey extension doesnt warrant smokes but if its a double storey or loft extension then LD3 must be installaed as they wont sign off, i think in new build they must be to LD2 now

Reply to smoke alarms do i have to.. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net