Discuss Smoke alarms withing a domestic property in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Ive been having a read in the electricians guide to the building regs with regards fire safety and a Grad D LD3 system, with regards the wiring of smoke and heat alarms it says on page 147 that alarms are required to:
b) be permanently wired with an independent circuit to the dis board or preferably supplied form a local regularly used lighting circuit.

Would any one be able to tell me why it would be preferable to be supplied from a local lighting circuit rather than having its own independent circuit? And in this case how would you go about isolation for it?

Thanks in advance

i prefer using a local lighting circuit as it prevents tenants from switching off the breaker when they burn toast. there is no requirement for the smoke detectors to be isolated independently.

nothing. if you need to remove or replace one, it's no big deal to isolate a lighting circuit for a short while. in fact, the heads can be removed/replaced without isolating anything as they just plug into the bases.

Either install has its pros & cons, we've all seen the diy'er threads where they've tried to add a new luminaire, balleds it up, no lights and come here at the weekend asking how to get their lights back on!
I think those annoying beeps of the alarm batteries going flat are a good indication somethings amiss.
Incidentally, fitting one of those locator/tester switches for the alarms, in a domestic property is a must IMO, helps when testing & locating alarm that's indicating, in a houseful of alarms.

Reply to Smoke alarms withing a domestic property in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net