Discuss smoke alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Liam howe

Ive got a new extension to wire up.
My question is, do I need to encoporate mains fed smoke alarms into both story's of the extension? The customer says it required for the building regs.

Thanks guys

Could well be.
Can be local variations imposed by LBC but there is an IET guide book to BS 5839 that's worth a read.

My question is, do I need to encoporate mains fed smoke alarms into both story's of the extension? The customer says it required for the building regs.

Thanks guys

I would say yes. A two storey extension is a significant alteration to the building and likely to be viewed as new build rules by the BC officer.

Imho, you or better still, your customer needs to get this agreed with the building control officer asap.

On my patch they have been known to demand then in the existing house as well as the extension....

Thanks guys

Thats what BC really look for at the end of job mate.
Heat in the kitchen and smoke in every floor, landinngs normally.

Approved document B, Volume 1 (Dwelling houses), 2013 version has some fairly clear guidance in section 1 which deals with fire detection.

had job once ,customer had loft done. the doors where pine , lbo officer came round
on the plans fire doors ,put in heat kitchen landings top loft from ach Tec drawing
told her to change to fire doors or smokes in every habitual room.

Reply to smoke alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net