Discuss Smoke coming from electric meter/fuse box area in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

So the cable inside the walls? The only visible cables I can see are all PVC... The cable the cooker is attached to is Grey PVC...

As the others have said, its difficult to tell from this side of a PC screen. As this electrician has not completed the correct certificate for a CU change, amongst other things. I would see if another electrician/company could check this change and advise you accordingly.

You could phone NICEIC on Monday, to verify if this electrician is registered with them. It does appear, from the photos you've posted, not to be a satisfactory situation.

If he is with NICEIC, and things have been incorrectly installed, NICEIC will say that the electrician should be given the opportunity to put things right. Personally, I would not let him back in my house.

I've seen under the floor boards before, and they are all grey pvc cables... How did the guy know they are rubber if he hasn't even looked??

OK sorry I'm done with this now, it's already turned into a 10 page farce. You've been given good advice by professional electrician's, your choice whether you take it or not.

Unfortunately your right & it's getting worse.
I don't know if you, Andy, or anyone else bothers to check the Profile of posters I don't know, I do, we have all heard and spoken a lot about young inexperienced Electricians, understandable, we, all of us had to learn and gain knowledge from experience, qualifications are a good and necessary thing, the one thing that ticks me off no end, is people who think they are Electricians, but perhaps would be better off doing something else, the descriptions on some of the profiles, "what electrical qualifications do you hold" some people don't bother for one reason or another, but some add things like "all of them" or "enough" makes my blood boil. The only reason I check is to tailor my answers, not to gloat I just feel lucky to have done an Apprenticeship, sorry for the rant Guys and Gals.

I don't know if you, Andy, or anyone else bothers to check the Profile of posters I don't know, I do, we have all heard and spoken a lot about young inexperienced Electricians, understandable, we, all of us had to learn and gain knowledge from experience, qualifications are a good and necessary thing, the one thing that ticks me off no end, is people who think they are Electricians, but perhaps would be better off doing something else, the descriptions on some of the profiles, "what electrical qualifications do you hold" some people don't bother for one reason or another, but some add things like "all of them" or "enough" makes my blood boil. The only reason I check is to tailor my answers, not to gloat I just feel lucky to have done an Apprenticeship, sorry for the rant Guys and Gals.

I do sometimes check them yes Pete, but then I think why bother. I could alter my profile to say I had a Degree instead of C & G etc & no one would actually know the difference.

Actually: Thanks Pete, you just reminded me. I haven't seen my folder since we moved here.

Another departure from the wiring regs OP. There should be two RCD's to give division of installation. Something easily achieved.

I would recommend you have this CU change and the remainder of the installation checked by another electrician/company.

Let us know what NICEIC say.

So the cable inside the walls? The only visible cables I can see are all PVC... The cable the cooker is attached to is Grey PVC...

In the past cables have been manufactured with rubber insulation and grey sheath, the sheath wasn't always PVC either.

How do you expect us to know where he saw these cables? Why don't you just ask him?

You should of had something like this;

consumer-unit-split-load-dual-rcds-main-switch.png

or a CU populated with RCBO's.
Edit; The MCB's have been omitted for clarity :)

In the past cables have been manufactured with rubber insulation and grey sheath, the sheath wasn't always PVC either.

How do you expect us to know where he saw these cables? Why don't you just ask him?

Calm down dude. Was just asking... I'm not an electrician I know nothing. Seems the "electrician" knows nothing either. I'll see what niceic have to say.

Calm down dude. Was just asking... I'm not an electrician I know nothing. Seems the "electrician" knows nothing either. I'll see what niceic have to say.

Don't mind davesparks, he's very knowledgeable about electric's, learnt quite a bit from him myself. In return, I've been trying to learn him the art of diplomacy. He has improved in recent times :)

I'm guessing this happens a lot, cowboy electricians doing botched jobs. While the customer remains totally oblivious and assumes all is up to standard.

I hope you intend to follow this up. As said before, from your descriptions and photos, there appear to be some questions to be asked. Firstly, it would be interesting as to what NICEIC say, if this electrician is registered with them. A lot of the chaps on here have a poor view of schemes, but lets see.

Reply to Smoke coming from electric meter/fuse box area in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net