Discuss Smoke coming from electric meter/fuse box area in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Calm down dude. Was just asking... I'm not an electrician I know nothing. Seems the "electrician" knows nothing either. I'll see what niceic have to say.

You don't need to be an electrician to have the common sense to ask the person who has made the observation rather than a bunch of faceless strangers who've never been to your house.

The niceic will tell you to take your concerns up with the person who did the work

I'm guessing this happens a lot, cowboy electricians doing botched jobs. While the customer remains totally oblivious and assumes all is up to standard.

This sort of thing does happen a lot, I often get invited to sort jobs out.
I'd echo the previous advice about reporting to the NICEIC and trading standards. I tell all my previously duped customers the same, but unfortunately a lot cannot be bothered with the hassle or the embarrassment. This leaves the trader unrebuked and free to rip someone off next week, and the week after that. Please make sure you do something.

This sort of thing does happen a lot, I often get invited to sort jobs out.
I'd echo the previous advice about reporting to the NICEIC and trading standards. I tell all my previously duped customers the same, but unfortunately a lot cannot be bothered with the hassle or the embarrassment. This leaves the trader unrebuked and free to rip someone off next week, and the week after that. Please make sure you do something.

Waiting to hear back from niceic sent them a copy of the certificate.

Christ, had a spare hour waiting till 4 to go home. This is a cracking read. The job is absolute doggers, what did the NIC say? I am excited (sadly) to find out where this goes with the NIC. Sounds like the fist 'electrician' just got a mate from the pub to stick something in. Where's the gas bond? He could have atleast used clear silicone the rough bas****.

Glad the fish are ok. Don't pay him a bean till the NIC have investigated.

Gas bond is on the pipe in the cupboard next to the CU. Niceic say they don't have any company by that name at the given address registered with them, and advise contacting them to get an enrollment number. The electrician did say they will be issuing a certificate for the CU.

Gas bond is on the pipe in the cupboard next to the CU. Niceic say they don't have any company by that name at the given address registered with them, and advise contacting them to get an enrollment number. The electrician did say they will be issuing a certificate for the CU.

Then you might actually find that niceic will be helpful, they get very excited about prosecuting people who use their logo without paying for the privilege.

They won't give two hoots about a dangerous installation, but they'll pursue a misuse of their logo to hell and back.

This is the first time I have posted on this forum. I read this with great interest and despair. I'm someone who 4 years ago went on one of the very much loved Part P two week courses. Now before you guys get stuck into me, you need to know that I paid 4k of my own cash to do this course, as I wanted to improve my knowledge and do a good safe job for my customers. I have my own business renovating bathrooms, so clearly if I want to provide electrical work as part of that business it is hugely important that it is done to a high standard and tested accordingly. I am only writing on this post because even with my limited knowledge, having read through this post, I was able to pick up on a large number of the issues that you guys were spotting. This kind of shameless awful work is totally unacceptable! I wanted to talk briefly about what my thoughts were around the course I took. I should also point out that I have a background in automotive electrics, so although this is clearly not the same as domestic electrical work, there is a degree of crossover. Most of the people I met on the course were really good guys but in spite of this, there seemed to be a high percentage of them that should not have been let near a screwdriver let alone be aloud to do live testing. I was working in one of the bays with two other guys doing practical stuff and they sussed that I (Without wanting to sound immodest) was quite capable. Once they latched onto this they kept asking me how to do things and all the while I'm thinking "I'm paying £4k for this" One of the fellas was from India and told me he had only been in the country for 6 weeks. Prior to this course he was studying law, but gave up. My point is, this fella passed the course and like most of the others that were on it, including myself. They could well be out there working in peoples homes, and I find that very worrying. I should also point out that I decided not to become a scheme member and ended up substantially out of pocket, because I didn't believe that I could develop sufficient knowledge and keep on top of the Reg's etc. Can I test, can I wire a circuit safely? Yes! but I'm I totally confident that I can provide a safe service to my customers? No! You can probably appreciate how P**t off reading about the joker in this forum makes me in light of all I have written. Sorry for the length of this post.

This is the first time I have posted on this forum. I read this with great interest and despair. I'm someone who 4 years ago went on one of the very much loved Part P two week courses. Now before you guys get stuck into me, you need to know that I paid 4k of my own cash to do this course, as I wanted to improve my knowledge and do a good safe job for my customers. I have my own business renovating bathrooms, so clearly if I want to provide electrical work as part of that business it is hugely important that it is done to a high standard and tested accordingly. I am only writing on this post because even with my limited knowledge, having read through this post, I was able to pick up on a large number of the issues that you guys were spotting. This kind of shameless awful work is totally unacceptable! I wanted to talk briefly about what my thoughts were around the course I took. I should also point out that I have a background in automotive electrics, so although this is clearly not the same as domestic electrical work, there is a degree of crossover. Most of the people I met on the course were really good guys but in spite of this, there seemed to be a high percentage of them that should not have been let near a screwdriver let alone be aloud to do live testing. I was working in one of the bays with two other guys doing practical stuff and they sussed that I (Without wanting to sound immodest) was quite capable. Once they latched onto this they kept asking me how to do things and all the while I'm thinking "I'm paying £4k for this" One of the fellas was from India and told me he had only been in the country for 6 weeks. Prior to this course he was studying law, but gave up. My point is, this fella passed the course and like most of the others that were on it, including myself. They could well be out there working in peoples homes, and I find that very worrying. I should also point out that I decided not to become a scheme member and ended up substantially out of pocket, because I didn't believe that I could develop sufficient knowledge and keep on top of the Reg's etc. Can I test, can I wire a circuit safely? Yes! but I'm I totally confident that I can provide a safe service to my customers? No! You can probably appreciate how P**t off reading about the joker in this forum makes me in light of all I have written. Sorry for the length of this post.
as you have discovered, a short course is not fit to train people up if they don't have the aptitude. you seem to have that and the right attitude. stick to doing non-notifiable jobs for now.build up your confidence and experience, then, when you are ready, apply to join a scheme. plenty of good advice on this forum. and good luck with your chosen career.

Reply to Smoke coming from electric meter/fuse box area in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock