Discuss Smoke coming from electric meter/fuse box area in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

They won't replace them they are after the meter. All they will do is put you an isolator in. I can't understand why your electrician who must of pulled the main fuse didn't connect straight into the meter??

Good question, especially as the meter seal seems to already have been cut.

So should he of recommended the rewire? I'd rather not have that done if it's not essential. As we have hardwood flooring and laminate in all rooms. It would be an absolute nightmare!

If what he has written is correct then in my opinion the replacement of the rubber cable in the cooker and lighting circuits should have been a higher priority than replacing the consumer unit.
personally I would refuse to carry out any work on your installation without first properly inspecting it and getting it agreed in writing that all such dangerous items will be fixed.

Thing is, when it's getting late at night, it sometimes difficult to remember which form to use. Suppose it saves on paperwork :)

OP, just curious about your new consumer unit, could you post a picture with the lid lifted up (one on a hinge)?

To verify if your electrician is in a scheme, you can try this link (think you said he was in NICEIC?);

Competent Persons Register | Home - http://www.competentperson.co.uk/

He should notify your local building control as well for the CU change, if he's in a scheme. If he's not in a scheme, its going to complicate things a bit. It is the home owners responsibility ultimately.

Thing is, when it's getting late at night, it sometimes difficult to remember which form to use. Suppose it saves on paperwork :)

OP, just curious about your new consumer unit, could you post a picture with the lid lifted up (one on a hinge)?

To verify if your electrician is in a scheme, you can try this link (think you said he was in NICEIC?);

Competent Persons Register | Home - http://www.competentperson.co.uk/

He should notify your local building control as well for the CU change, if he's in a scheme. If he's not in a scheme, its going to complicate things a bit. It is the home owners responsibility ultimately.

I see 1 company name that matches on there, but isn't anywhere near where I live?

Pete, ya gotta explain that one to me sometime mate ;)
Nothing to explain in all honesty, I'm not the person to claim the cudos from someone else, it was a member of the forum who first introduced me to this description (Kennyken) get the feeling it may be the Australian equivalent of the ubiquitous Electrical Trainee anyway I like it better, thanks Kenny for the pleasure it has given me, I think it's a cracker of a phrase sort of runs off of your tounge "Boil in the Bag Sparkie" wonderful:);):p:rolleyes:nice one kenny

Where are these rubber wires located for the cooker and lighting? Inside the CU? Sorry I'm no electrician. :)

If they are at the fusebox then they would go from there to whatever circuit they serve i.e within walls, under floorboards etc.
Without actually seeing the installation we have no way of knowing exactly where.

If they are at the fusebox then they would go from there to whatever circuit they serve i.e within walls, under floorboards etc.
Without actually seeing the installation we have no way of knowing exactly where.

I've seen under the floor boards before, and they are all grey pvc cables... How did the guy know they are rubber if he hasn't even looked??

Nothing to explain in all honesty, I'm not the person to claim the cudos from someone else, it was a member of the forum who first introduced me to this description (Kennyken) get the feeling it may be the Australian equivalent of the ubiquitous Electrical Trainee anyway I like it better, thanks Kenny for the pleasure it has given me, I think it's a cracker of a phrase sort of runs off of your tounge "Boil in the Bag Sparkie" wonderful:);):p:rolleyes:nice one kenny

Agreed, it's a brilliant saying. Talking of Kenny, any idea where he's dissapeared to ?.

I see 1 company name that matches on there, but isn't anywhere near where I live?

You should contact the NICEIC without delay regarding this cert. If this chancer is not an approved contractor and using their logo they will pursue him and take legal action.
If guilty he will pay a hefty fine, if he is approved you have a justifiable claim against his work and incorrect certification.

Reply to Smoke coming from electric meter/fuse box area in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net