Discuss Smoke detctor/alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DNS

Hi.. All
I am in the process of rewiring a house with a sizable extension for a kitchen dining room, I am going to install hard wired alarms, obviously one on the landing ceiling upstairs, one on the hall ceiling down stairs. My question is....... the ceiling in the extension has a high pitch ceiling rising to approx three metres with a small level surface at the top. I'm thinking it should have three alarms hard wired, the third being at the higest point downstairs. If there were to be a kitchen fire, the smoke would accumalate at this point before it reached the hallway which has two doors between the kitchen. I asked an old coleague of mine, he reckons that if the alarm sounds near the kitchen at the highest point, the customer wouldn't be able to silence it because they can't reach it... But I said, surely because they are interlinked you would be able to silence any one of them..He couldn't say and I'm not 100%. Any input appreciated. I will be installing three, I just want to be sure that it can be silenced on any. Thanks.

If it's a pointed ceiling (pitched), like you might get in a loft conversion, then the smoke detector must be at least 600mm vertically below the point of the pitch. The top 'triangle' would be "dead air" in the event of smoke moving around.

I would suggest you follow the same rule for your heat detector. But why not ring Aico tech help for advice?

If you need to "hush" the alarms then you need to hush the one that set off the alarm. Therefore it needs to be reachable.

They should also all be within reach (perhaps by using a handle or standing on a chair) so the test button can be pressed and so the back up batteries can be changed as required.

The smoke should be sited 900mm horizontally from the peak so probably would be out of reach anyway.

Smoke alarms that are out of reach can be units with non replaceable lithium batteries and also the 'smoke switch' I mentioned has hush, test & locate facilities on it for this very reason.

Reply to Smoke detctor/alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net