Discuss Smoke detector circuit. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

claire_r

Hello all, long time no post.
Need some brains!
Silly new build with an interconn smoke at top of stairs and 2 horrible out of line pendants either side in hall.
Is there any reg that prevents me from moving that smoke detector over ever so slightly, it will still be just over the stairs, so I can put in one central light.
Ta lots :)

no problem there. can you move it so as to still be central laterally so s/d and pendant are both central and in line?

It depend on how close to walls etc it's going to be after it's moved

since when did ice cream have a bearing on smoke detection?

Little bit more to it than yes you can.......the detector covers 7.5m radius, so you limit on the area is 10m x 10m. so the detector must be positioned to cover the detection area fully. (rule of thumb..from the detector to each corner of the room is no more than 7.5m). Must be minimum of 300mm away from light fitting and 500mm away from a wall

Little bit more to it than yes you can.......the detector covers 7.5m radius, so you limit on the area is 10m x 10m. so the detector must be positioned to cover the detection area fully. (rule of thumb..from the detector to each corner of the room is no more than 7.5m). Must be minimum of 300mm away from light fitting and 500mm away from a wall
And at an accessible position ( not over banister)

Little bit more to it than yes you can.......the detector covers 7.5m radius, so you limit on the area is 10m x 10m. so the detector must be positioned to cover the detection area fully. (rule of thumb..from the detector to each corner of the room is no more than 7.5m). Must be minimum of 300mm away from light fitting and 500mm away from a wall[/]

In domestic it's 300mm min distance from walls and light fittings.

Sorry your right, 300mm from walls....commercial part 1 in my head there
I'm doing a new build, been told to install smokes detectors on landing which must not be more than 1m away from any bedroom doors. May be just a local requirement.

Yes your correct.......but with battery back up whilst power off for some reason ie power cut to property
With over 80% of house fires being caused by electrical wiring or electrical equipment faults....the idea of battery backup on a grade D alarm is a very important one, when the power is first to go in a domestic fire.

Blimey, statistics are great aren't they! I'm sure it was something like over half of all house fires being started by cigarettes on the last advertising campaign.

They always seem to say 'suspected electrical fault' if they don't know what the cause is. Or is that me being cynical? Daz

Think thats a fair point....80% is supposed 2008 statistics....but point was to why battery backup is important in domestic dwellings.

Reply to Smoke detector circuit. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock