Discuss Smoke Detector Wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All

Just a quick one. Recently had a job to install inter linked smoke detectors in the communal area of a house converted to 2 flats. Health and safety requested standard mains powered smokes with interlink.

I wired this through floors in T+E as I would in a standard domestic property, but have been pulled by another electrician stating it has to be in FP200. I have wired these from the lighting circuit (also wired in T+E) and used radio link bases so wiring it in FP200 seems pointless and pretty harsh reason to fail an EICR?

Any opinions and reg references are appreciated

Cables on escape routes should be avoided however not prohibited and should be kept as short as possible if it is necessary. Even if the cable were low smoke the trunking is not and I probably would have used FP. Are you being told why it is not suitable.

Might be wrong (Happened before) but don't the rules class a house where 2 or more people live & that are not related as a HMO ?. So although it's been subdivided inside, it may still class as 1 house as with bedsits.
Think I'd be asking the local authority what they class it as.

Last edited by a moderator:
From BS5839-6:2013 it sounds like what you have put in is a grade D system, this should however have been communicated to you at tender stage by the specifier. It is implied by the equipment they have told you to install but you should confirm this. If this is the case (Grade D) then BS5839-6:2013 clause 16.5 a) states that "may comprise any cable suitable for domestic mains wiring"

Don't think the type of system is relevant it is the wiring method on an escape route. Be interesting to know the comment on the EICR

Don't think the type of system is relevant it is the wiring method on an escape route. Be interesting to know the comment on the EICR
If it were a grade A, B or C then he would be using FP. The wiring method described in BS5839-6:2013 states that it should be installed as per BS7671 which doesn't ask for FP on escape routes.

Where non metallic cable trunking is used in escape routes suitable fire resistant means of support can be used inside the trunking
Regulation 522.11.201 so can't see the problem if pvc conduit/ trunking is used as long as it has metallic supports for the internal wiring.

Where non metallic cable trunking is used in escape routes suitable fire resistant means of support can be used inside the trunking
Regulation 522.11.201 so can't see the problem if pvc conduit/ trunking is used as long as it has metallic supports for the internal wiring.
Thats right. Be aware though how you fix the internal metallic supports to the building fabric. We recently had an LPCB inspection and they no longer accept plastic plug and screw as a fire resistant method of supporting anything on an escape route. They are now expecting metal rawl plugs or frame fix type screws without a plug. In tests they carried out, plugs melt and drop.

Same goes for surface P clipping or saddle clips they expect metal plugs or frame fix screws.

See attached.

IMG_3966.JPG

Last edited:
Nothing to do with cable fixing but flame propagating systems on an escape route, not at home to check Regs though.

Thats right. Be aware though how you fix the internal metallic supports to the building fabric. We recently had an LPCB inspection and they no longer accept plastic plug and screw as a fire resistant method of supporting anything on an escape route. They are now expecting metal rawl plugs or frame fix type screws without a plug. In tests they carried out, plugs melt and drop.
Self drilling masonry screws are the way forward.

Nothing to do with cable fixing but flame propagating systems on an escape route, not at home to check Regs though.
That regulation mentions absolutely nothing about flame propagating systems just supports.
Pvc containment is not prohibited as long as cables have metallic supports to prevent premature collapse.
Regulation 422.2.1 which can mean LSoH cables

Last edited:
Think we are at odds with different Regs, I get the cable fixing bit but it is the use of flame propagating materials on an escape route can't check it out at the moment.

Last NIC/Elecsa 'web in air' vid I watched, Cable & Stantiforth stated the use of 'plastic plugs' were still deemed to be acceptable in such situations, it was the 'clip or fixing' that has to be metal or fire resistance. Seems, their advice comes from some document or study, suggesting the plastic rawplug, would survive fire due to the surrounded concrete or brick structure.

Once again, these 'organisations & bodies' need to have some sort of joined up thinking, and stop offering conflicting guidance.

Or is it the case, some manufactures sense a marketing opportunity. :)

Once again, these 'organisations & bodies' need to have some sort of joined up thinking, and stop offering conflicting guidance.

I've just seen a pig flying past the window.... and IF, I say IF the IET got its act together, the "variety" of interpretations wouldn't be required..

That regulation mentions absolutely nothing about flame propagating systems just supports.
Pvc containment is not prohibited as long as cables have metallic supports to prevent premature collapse.
Regulation 422.2.1 which can mean LSoH cables
422.2.1 states wiring systems shall be non-flame propagating. It is there in black and white.

Reply to Smoke Detector Wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net