Discuss Smokers pay lots in tax and save public money in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Spoon

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Each to their own,but,an equally valid argument could run that if acceptance of tax paid,for a known,proven and harmful exercise,is a benefit,then let us add ALL the other drugs to the list. Let us also see the percentage difference in deaths of a direct result of the first,and the total of all the others....

Like i said,you join a club,you take the rules....but i remember me sister telling me that more people on her ward,had died as a direct result of smoking related cancer,in a week,than the years total number of deaths due to "dance drugs","E's" etc.

I regularly wind up a pal,who has had a newsagents for years,telling him he is a bigger drug dealer than any Colombian cartel,and including product and hits,has probably killed more people ;)

He always wheels the tax bit out,but if money raised absolved harm done...Jimmy Saville would have an untouched statue somewhere...

I dislike paying tax and imported my own cigarettes in from Poland or had contacts that could supply them at £20 per 200 when they where £5 a packet in the UK but I did eventually kick the habit about 12 - 13 years ago.

I have a photo somewhere of £15k's worth in a stack in someones living room somewhere, this was £15k's worth back in 2004 or so.

Maybe they should raise the speed limit outside of schools in council estates, wonder how much money that will save of 40 years of dole breathing parasites.

If people want to take "dance drugs" or any other illegal drug then as far as I'm concerned, they can. As long as they don't harm anyone else. No driving or anything like that.
I'm sure the government would tax it to high heaven anyhow..

but if money raised absolved harm done...Jimmy Saville would have an untouched statue somewhere...

It worked for Michael Jackson..

A quick google found that the uk smokers paid £12Bn in excise and vat on cigarettes last year.

Estimated total cost to the treasury by smokers is between £3 and £6Bn, another suggested £5Bn.

So at least £6bn extra is generated by smokers.

Another google suggests all cancer treatment cost the NHS £5Bn in 2015, and cancer research uk says that smoking causes just over 1 in 4 cancer deaths.

By that, then £1.25Bn is covered inside the £3-6Bn therefore there's at least £2.25Bn going towards other Government costs after covering ALL smoking related costs and ALL non smoking cancer related costs to the NHS.

So by that calculation I suppose you could say that smokers give more than double what they actually take back.

If we all quit smoking they would only put the tax onto alcohol & fast foods...

A bit like motorists ................. very little of the taxes we pay for our vehicles and fuel pay for the roads and infrastructure!

A bit like motorists ................. very little of the taxes we pay for our vehicles and fuel pay for the roads and infrastructure!

Here,here...and i for one,would be content to pay more for my crack,if lane markings were more precise ;)

I come from a time when the back area of aircraft and movie theatres were designated a smoking area. Nowadays it takes willpower to be a smoker.

I come from a time when the back area of aircraft and movie theatres were designated a smoking area. Nowadays it takes willpower to be a smoker.

Odeon cinemas where split left to right, back seats on the upper deck of a bus was for smokers and I remember going to work puffing away in the smokers carriage on the central line.......

Funny how this sort of excuse is always trotted out to justify smoking. There is a high likelyhood it will kill you, or make you seriously ill, costs a fortune and you STINK. I always put it in the same category as other drugs, and yes that does inckude alcohol.

Funny how this sort of excuse is always trotted out to justify smoking. There is a high likelyhood it will kill you, or make you seriously ill, costs a fortune and you STINK. I always put it in the same category as other drugs, and yes that does inckude alcohol.
No need to justify anything, everyone is entitled to do what they want/enjoy doing. There is certainly no need to have to justify yourself for smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol.

I have enjoyed smoking since 9 years of age,now 58 years later,having never spent one night in a hospital,still easily able to clamber around attics etc,even do occupied rewires on my own
Not knowing who would happen to be my doctor if I was ever to attend the local surgery and having paid ridiculously high taxes for my pleasure, it has caused me no more harm other than irritation

One of the most irritating things about smoking are those campaigning non smokers who forever rant about its negativity

It is still a foul, anti social habit. So you've stayed healthy, how about the secondary smoking that has caused others to suffer? I was lucky in that the DNO I worked for agreed that we could refuse to work in a situation where we felt some one was smoking and would not stop while we worked adjacent to them.

I genuinely feel sorry for your situation
I'm sure there must be therapy available that could lesson the abhorrence you feel.

Having experienced dust in the mines,asbestos in old building pipework,disintegrating insulation in attics, a myriad of other ingested particles,lead in the city atmosphere, along with lead in old pipes,diesel and petrol vapours from congested town centres,cotton fibres from yarn spinning,tin poisoning,pollutants from public incinerators and countless other society inflicted harmful pollutants, the average working man would have to class secondary smoking effects a little on the minor scale of concerns he should be feared of

and don't forget the saving to the nation on state pensions. as smokers die on average 10 years earlier, that's about £80k saved per smoker.

bugger.got to go back upstairs to get a new pack from my imported £25/pack smokes.

It is still a foul, anti social habit. So you've stayed healthy, how about the secondary smoking that has caused others to suffer? I was lucky in that the DNO I worked for agreed that we could refuse to work in a situation where we felt some one was smoking and would not stop while we worked adjacent to them.
Sounds like you were a real pain in the a** to work with! Just because you think it' an anti-social habit doesn't mean it is. If you don't like it you don' need to preach it to the world, just don't stand near any smokers.

£10.30 a pack I saw someone pay today - if that doesn't make you kick the habit nothing will !
I always think smoke smugglers/importers/counterfeiters would give up at the proper price - the cost to GB/NHS may well be covered by those paying the proper tax, but it hardly recompenses their families and friends for the loss (of the misguided fools).

Reply to Smokers pay lots in tax and save public money in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock