Discuss So I have been doing it wrong all these years in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Anyone care to point out the specific no-no's to a foreigner unfamiliar with BS standards?

~S~
I think the point of it is the truly shocking job he has done of fitting that socket, bearing in mind people refer to You Tube for guidance. I think that even a non electrical person would agree it is a rough job. Would you be happy to pay him if he fitted a socket in such a manner to your property. The fact he refers to himself as a craftsman is quite frankly criminal.

Last edited:
No but in all fairness, I would have fitted by then in a very professional manner that the front face of my house had requested and appreciated - but that's just me.
I don't think we need a poll on this as we are mostly unanimous.

No but in all fairness, I would have fitted by then in a very professional manner that the front face of my house had requested and appreciated - but that's just me.
I don't think we need a poll on this as we are mostly unanimous.
Keep reading this are there bits missing or is just me.

sorry Westward it was in response to your, "Would you be happy to pay him if he fitted a socket in such a manner to your property." To which the answer was no I would have fitted it by then and made it look good. Sorry my fingers can't keep up with my gob sometimes!

I think the point of it is the truly shocking job he has done of fitting that socket, bearing in mind people refer to You Tube for guidance. I think that even a non electrical person would agree it is a rough job. Would you be happy to pay him if he fitted a socket in such a manner to your property. The fact he refers to himself as a craftsman is quite frankly criminal.

I agree the Utube crowd often forwards 'guidance' we as sparks are confronted with .

I guess those foisting it upon us never think or care about their liability in doing so.

I also agree a non-spark could have an issue with what is simply a 'rough job' ,in fact our NEC has a 'neat & workmanlike' code that is open to any inspectors interpretation ......so it could be a totally compliant install, yet be written up on this alone.

Fwiw, i didn't like the way the wiring was made into the box , didn't see a jacket or conduit.....

~S~

Anyone care to point out the specific no-no's to a foreigner unfamiliar with BS standards?

~S~

The thing about responding to 'what's wrong?' is where to start. Here's one - I think the cable entering the fitting has had its sheath cut too short (I don't remember seeing the sheath, but I'm not watching it again to be 100%) and so it contravenes Regulation 521.10.1 of current BS7671, if I'm not mistaken? Cheers, David.

I agree the Utube crowd often forwards 'guidance' we as sparks are confronted with .

I guess those foisting it upon us never think or care about their liability in doing so.

I also agree a non-spark could have an issue with what is simply a 'rough job' ,in fact our NEC has a 'neat & workmanlike' code that is open to any inspecto
rs
Our British Standard does refer to workmanship and using correct materials, of course how people apply this will vary. Is what he has done dangerous, maybe not as he does not show the full installation within the property. The fact he refers to himself as a craftsman at least twice makes the whole thing a joke.

~S~

It contravenes one of the cornerstone regulations for Electrical Installation work:

134.1.1 Good workmanship by skilled (electrically) or
instructed (electrically) persons and proper materials shall be used in the erection of the electrical installation.
The installation of electrical equipment shall take account of manufacturers’ instructions.

Our British Standard does refer to workmanship and using correct materials, of course how people apply this will vary. Is what he has done dangerous, maybe not as he does not show the full installation within the property. The fact he refers to himself as a craftsman at least twice makes the whole thing a joke.
Although he never revealed the socket face connections, or the bonding of the swa armour and unless he actually eventually terminated the cpc to the socket then I would suspect yes it could be deamed potentially dangerous
I guess we will never know, it's very worrying to know that this fool is advising Jo public with this crap.

I also agree a non-spark could have an issue with what is simply a 'rough job' ,in fact our NEC has a 'neat & workmanlike' code that is open to any inspectors interpretation ......so it could be a totally compliant install, yet be written up on this alone.

Fwiw, i didn't like the way the wiring was made into the box , didn't see a jacket or conduit.....

~S~
Well he did have a T shirt on, but no jacket lol, didn't need either just do the bleedin job properly, and that caulking he should be outed, NIC or whatever scam he is with should be ashamed of themselves, still if he is paying them that's all that matters to the scams. I hope he sees all these replies and goes away and hides, that's not going to happen either, bloody cowboy electrical trainee

I love this place, how to do videos peaple having a go at some one for 4" not 4cm and stolen avatars.
Leave it to me I will ring the plod and get it sorted, let's be happy as it's the 1st October we can all go to the shops and buy Christmas decorations. Happy New Year one and all

No! someone's got my Avatar. I assume maybe you did it first, but it seemed a good idea to me (and I really hadn't spotted yours beforehand !). Great minds think alike.
Mine is just behind the house.
We'll keep it our little secret - shows that we like this electricity stuff!

Reply to So I have been doing it wrong all these years in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net