Discuss Socket in downstairs toliet in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dmorts

Hi, I'm looking for advice as to whether this is feasible. The downstairs toilet in my new build house is quite large due to it needing to comply with accessibility regulations (a space is left for an accessible shower to be installed should it be required). It currently only has a toilet and a small wash basin in it and seems the ideal place to put a condenser tumble dryer.<br><br>From my research it would appear that zones do not exist in the room as no bath or shower are present. Would someone be able and permitted to install a socket to allow the installation of the dryer?<br><br>This is in Scotland should that make any difference to the regs

Yes, it can be done as long as there's no shower or bath in close proximity. It's very common elswhere in the world to have washing machines and dryers in bathrooms, for some reason it's often frowned upon in the UK, not sure why.

^^^ This bathroom has a bath and shower in the photos so any installations of this nature might be compliant in Malta but they certainly wouldn't be in the UK.

Anything might go in Malta but as this is the UK and the Op is a Diyer I don't really think that your post is particularly relevant.

Thanks for the replies,

Washing machines and dryers in the bathroom or w/c make much more sense to me too, as long as electrical safety is covered

why put a washing machine in a bathroom? you already have all the essentials... a bath, hot water, and your wife/girlfriend has feet!

Reply to Socket in downstairs toliet in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net