Discuss Socket in toilet in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Can anyone assist, been doing PIr's on static caravans recently and came across this one.
Van has a separate toilet which contains a basin, the owner decided it was a good idea to install a double socket next to the toilet which feeds a bar heater installed in the hall next to it. Having followed the trail of wire which also feeds porch sockets,deck lights and shed sockets I arrived at the best juction box I've ever seen under the van. choc blocks inside a tupper ware box for weather protection( why did MK not think of this). This collection of cables leads back to a plug which is switched from the bedroom. Putting aside the rank stupidity of this for a minute I'm struggling to find a reg that says you can't put a socket in the toilet as its not part of the bathroom. (but I'm sure I've seen something somewhere).Also as its technically a huge extension lead not permanently connected and not breaking any rules until he switches it on can I give it a 1 0r a 2.Any guidance would be appreciated.

There is no 'reg' that forbids a socket outlet in a wc, a wc is not a special location.

As for the rest of it, it's your report and I know if it were mine, I'd be coding the 'extension' as a 2, it's about keeping your --- covered!

As you know reg 701.512.3 allows a 230 volt socket outlet in a location containing a bath or shower providing that it is 3m horizontally from the boundary of zone 1, so a socket in a toilet is acceptable under the regs providing the regs are adhered to.

If you do regard the installation as temporary then you can't code it anything really. I would though when submitting the final report to him have a covering letter stressing in the most vehement way how dangerous the installation is and that it should be brought up to a safe standard.

As you know reg 701.512.3 allows a 230 volt socket outlet in a location containing a bath or shower providing that it is 3m horizontally from the boundary of zone 1, so a socket in a toilet is acceptable under the regs providing the regs are adhered to.

If you do regard the installation as temporary then you can't code it anything really. I would though when submitting the final report to him have a covering letter stressing in the most vehement way how dangerous the installation is and that it should be brought up to a safe standard.

When the op used the term 'basin' I assumed he was referring to a 'hand basin'. 701.512.3 is for locations containing a bath/shower.

Looking at the list of equipment that the 'extension' supplies and the 'weatherproof' junction box, I think we'd be stretching the term 'temporary'.

My thoughts exactly, it does seem daft that you can put a socket between a toilet and a basin with no more that 2 foot between them and not break any rules. It seems that as they aren't covered by part p you can pretty much do as you jolly well on a static as long as you follow regs and Park rules. Unfortunately as I've discovered this year most of the owners dont know what the regs are. Its been an experience though.
Many thanks.

When the op used the term 'basin' I assumed he was referring to a 'hand basin'. 701.512.3 is for locations containing a bath/shower.

Looking at the list of equipment that the 'extension' supplies and the 'weatherproof' junction box, I think we'd be stretching the term 'temporary'.

I was using the example that if a socket is allowed in a location with a bath or shower then you can indeed have a socket in a toilet

As for the term "Temporary" as the OP likened it to an extension lead, which is a "temporary" installation and not part of the fixed installation I said he could not code it. Which is why I said "if you do regard the installation temporary", so no code.

Obviously if you feel it's part of the fixed installation then a code 2 is surely the way to code it. My reply obviously led to confusion sorry about that

Reply to Socket in toilet in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net