Discuss Socket ring readings. R1+R2 approx half r1, r2 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SpannerSpark

I havent come across this before, wondered if its common and what it signifies in the ring.
Remeasured 3 times and got within 20mohms or so each time so pretty sure its not a zeroing the meter thing.
2.5:1.5 TW/E ring. I went around all of downstairs rooms, did min of few sockets in each room nice even results all the way around. Just not 1/4 of r1, r2 etc

r1=1.15
r2=1.82
rn=1.13

R1+Rn =0.57 (approx half)
R1+R2=0.78 (only a little bit less than half)

Any ideas?
PS Job was to move a socket and add a couple more.
Install is in <10 year old house, doesnt look to have been messed about much apart from has had an extension added in the last few years.

comes out in my head as 0.263 as opposed to 0.25. not far out. IMO.

Correct me if Im missing something hugely obvious here but based on your r1/r2/rn readings you should be looking at getting around R1+R2 = 0.74 and R1+Rn = 0.57

You actually get 0.78 & 0.57? ---- whats the issue? They are pretty good results especially if constant around the sockets!

case of overthinking, methinks. as archie says, it's friday, it's beer o'clock, move on.

Thanks guys. I havent done any testing for a good while and just got a mental block that I should be expecting R1+R2 to be 1/4 of r1 or r2, rather than r1+r2. When i think about it i am being a bell-end.

we all make mistakes, as the hedgehog said, climbing off the back of the bog-brush.

Reply to Socket ring readings. R1+R2 approx half r1, r2 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net