Discuss socket safety guards in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
hi, all.

have heard that those plastic safety thingies you plug in have been banned as the "earth pin" can break off in the socket, leaving the shutters permanently open. , so i am advising my customers to bin them. anyone confirm whether or not they are actually banned?

hi, all.

have heard that those plastic safety thingies you plug in have been banned as the "earth pin" can break off in the socket, leaving the shutters permanently open. , so i am advising my customers to bin them. anyone confirm whether or not they are actually banned?

Interesting point I never really gave it much thought but perhaps they should ban em, came across this
Electricity | Home Safety | Policy | RoSPA and this Electrical socket safety covers are "absurd and dangerous" say engineers - Telegraph and this Socket Cover Reviews

hi, all.

think ive heard something a while ago, but i have taken a broken pin out of a socket out let before so makes sense, i mean the child would have to turn it on then jam something in the earth slot then something in the live

if you look at the link in paturback's post, it seems they are deadly.

about 3 yrs ago my eldest daughter bought some of these as my grand daughter had a habit of unplugging things, you,d be watching the TV and it would go off as madam would unplug it.

I binned them all and changed any of the older plug tops she had that had bare pins to the insulated half pin ones. IMO these devices are not as safe as a BS 1363 socket that as shutters.

my thoughts entirely. and, when it comes to pulling them out so as to use the socket for it's intended purpose, you need a small child to pull the buggers out.

I would also like to know if they were banned my sister in law is a childminder and she has loads of these in her sockets
they were a pain in the neck to get out

If they are banned i will tell my brother to bin them and ensure all the sockets have the shutters

cheers

Last edited:
Yes, I posted the FatallyFlawed link late last year, a very interesting site that I encourage nursery managers to check out.

The socket covers are not banned but H&S now do not insist on their use.

They're certainly banned within my family!

We have the best socket safety system in the world, socket covers were a clever money making scam for far too long!

im currently working on a nursery and when i questioned ofsted about the dangers of these, i was told they were to b installed anyway and that was 2 month ago maybe

here what the electrical safety council have to say about it Socket covers : Electrical Safety Council

in my eyes there is no need for them in the uk as sockets are shuttered and near impossible for you to poke things into them ,The MK sockets the shutters do not open until the L and N and E terminals are all inserted ive had one where the earth pin has broken off in the socket leaving the terminals exposed

Last edited by a moderator:
better idea is to cable tie the brats's wrists behind their backs.

Reply to socket safety guards in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net