Discuss Sockets below countertop in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ayacucho

Does anyone know if there are any rules, regulations or recommendations for fitting appliance sockets below a kitchen countertop?

To me, it appears that the most convenient is to have them at plinth level. Yes, I do mean that low because the vast majority of appliances will clear them completely. All knowledgeable comments most welcome.

bloody nightmare sometimes. no room behind appliance so you often have to fit sockets in or at back of adjacent base units. then cut a 2" hole for the plug to pass through. i always fit a D/P switch above, though.

As above ^^either in the closest unit or if it goes behind the appliance put a spur/ switch above worktop for isolation

Thank you for the replies so far. I think I missed one important detail. The biggest difficulty I have is not with the isolation switch which can go anywhere convenient but with the fact that the thickness of the socket plus the thickness of the appliance´s plug itself can push the appliance forward far too much if it hits the wrong point.

I take the point about the adjacent cabinet but in my case I have 4 appliances next to each other and the "only" cabinet is the one below the sink where I would not dream fitting sockets.

So, my original question stands: can the sockets be legally installed at plinth level? That is, no higher than 80 mm from the floor?

So, my original question stands: can the sockets be legally installed at plinth level? That is, no higher than 80 mm from the floor?

Assuming this is not a new build where socket height 'guidance' to meet accessibility are given within the building regs. If not a new build, then provided the 'new' sockets are no worst in terms of compliance than they were before, then there is no problem. (i.e. I take this as meaning if you all ready had some at 'plinth level' or lower before then not a problem in having them now!)

However, it is also recommended (not a regulation) that socket outlet centres should be 150mm above a surface to avoid damage to the cable on insertion/withdrawal. Perhaps in your case if the plug is not going to be removed/refitted regularly as for an everyday kitchen appliance, then this 150mm doesnt apply.

So in a nutshell if you had sockets at 80mm or less before then go for it .......

An alternative for you is to get an electrician to install the sockets behind the plinth (assuming the plinth can be removed). They would need to be put on a bit of wood and not sitting on the floor in case of any flooding from normal kitchen use. These can be put on an Iso switch for each applience. Any good electrician will be able to advise the best way for you once he/she looks at the kitchen lay out.

Thank you for the interesting idea of fitting sockets onto the plinth itself. However all channelling and cabling is already on the brick wall so no plans to move that far. I just have the opportunity to place the sockets more strategically to avoid the aforementioned problem.

Nobody has mentioned yet, but I suppose yet another option would be to recess the sockets further into the wall. How far could one go? Does anyone know of a socket assembly suitable for such recessing?

Thank you for the interesting idea of fitting sockets onto the plinth itself. However all channelling and cabling is already on the brick wall so no plans to move that far. I just have the opportunity to place the sockets more strategically to avoid the aforementioned problem.

Nobody has mentioned yet, but I suppose yet another option would be to recess the sockets further into the wall. How far could one go? Does anyone know of a socket assembly suitable for such recessing?
This part of the question simply goes to show your lack of knowledge of the building regs, you can go smacking holes to any depths into walls.

Please consult a spark or 2.

an alternative would be to fit FCUs and hard wire the appliances after cutting the plugs off them.

an alternative would be to fit FCUs and hard wire the appliances after cutting the plugs off them.

That is an excellent idea that works perfectly with ovens and hobs because they usually have an easily accessible connecting block. So, when a replacement is due, it is easy enough to reconnect the cable to the new appliance.

However, for dishwashers, washing machines and fridges the story is different. The first install is relatively easy but replacements become much harder with the restricted space and inability to remove the worktop.

i'm 14 stone and have no trouble in the space that a washing machine takes up. so i'm sure someone slimmer and fitter could cope.

Reply to Sockets below countertop in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net