Discuss sockets face up in a floor in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mjmg4

does anyone know if regular moulded white 2 gang 13a double pole switched sockets. can be used face up in a floor..?
regs only state that every socket outlet shall be of the shuttered type and comply with bs1363.
Most floor sockets have covers . Is this just aesthetic or is there a reg about face up sockets.? Location is a dwelling, not a special location, no selv or pelv just single phase domestic. - thanks

You'd need to consider the effects of the surroundings, eg are they going to get trodden on and broken, will you get crud building up in the prong holes which will impair operation, is liquid likely to get spilt on them where it won't drain away quickly etc?

Depends if its prone to been stood on, knocked etc it comes under the 'suitable for the environment', i would consider domestic an unlikely place where this would be suitable as it may have things put on top of it, any spillages etc would also create a possible hazard and its got a higher risk of been knocked or damaged.
Offices have metal floor sockets that are spring covered when not in use and are designed to take the harshness of someone walking over them etc.

Use floor sockets, they have been designed for that sole purpose. Place a white socket outlet on the floor and stand on in, see what happens.

I can just picture it now, a few years time. We'll just shift the bed over a few inches, CRUNCH... 'Bollox...'

I can think of better places to put phone chargers in. I know some people don't like them but what about a couple of USB sockets in the wall near the bed, easier access when they want to plug in.

thanks for the replys, Customer wants them under a bed without covers for easier access, for phone chargers.

In this case you would contravene reg's on the points mentioned and your customer needs explaining so, tell the lazy sod to get their butt out of bed and use a wall socket like the other 40million users in britain.

Presumed you meant an office, so recessed, sprung, metal, but U.S.B's perfect, wish I'd thought of it myself, will obviously tell my clients I did.

IMO better to have a socket next to the bedside table which could also be used for a clock radio or table lamp, or have a socket behind the bed and run an extension lead to where it's wanted.
Putting a standard wall socket in the floor seems like too much of a custom set-up, for example if someone else moves in and has a different layout or different model of bed. Plus the other factors already mentioned.

Another thought. Is there carpet fitted and what state is the underlay in etc? That stuff disintegrates after a few years and could easily work into a backbox creating potentially dangerous problems.

Do you know how much dust accumulates under a bed?

and the idea of having one of those dodgy Chinese phone chargers right underneath my butt while I'm out for the count makes me cringe.

Go for the USB sockets built into a 2gang socket, sockets in the floor are not a good idea, imagine running the vacuum cleaner being stainless steel under the bed to clean all that fluff away... smack and crack... there goes the back box, and well.... potentially live vacuum cleaner :/

also what if he / she was to wet the bed lol.....
:)

you have to consider all scenarios :)

Go for the USB sockets built into a 2gang socket, sockets in the floor are not a good idea, imagine running the vacuum cleaner being stainless steel under the bed to clean all that fluff away... smack and crack... there goes the back box, and well.... potentially live vacuum cleaner :/

also what if he / she was to wet the bed lol.....
:)

you have to consider all scenarios :)
I don't know what kind of 'house' we're talking about here, but by the sound of it plugging a mobile telephone in to charge it up is likely to be the last thing on the occupants' minds.

I don't know what kind of 'house' we're talking about here, but by the sound of it plugging a mobile telephone in to charge it up is likely to be the last thing on the occupants' minds.

You never know, they may like to spend along time on the phone, multitasking !

Reply to sockets face up in a floor in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock