Discuss Sockets in the middle of a shop floor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Customer wants a number of sockets to work benches in the middle of a 'largish' shop floor. Walkways all the way around, high ceilings.

I'm sure others would have come across this sort of problem, would appreciate some ideas!

what's the floor made of? is there a void underneath?

Floor trunking cut in if it's solid.

As above a bit more detail mate if you can, what the floor made of being the main one and a couple of pics always cheer the lads up , they don't get out much.

Just re-read you op, thought it was an office at first but if it's a shopfloor then surely service posts from above especially if you can't chase the floors

Yes I need to come from above but roof is sloping and 4-5m high, would need scissor lift etc. but work benches are all in place and shop floor fully working!

Has anyone used unistrut/cable tray on posts secured to floor? I think this is what the customer had in mind! Is it possible?

Conduit run across the ceiling or tray. Then conduit drop to the workbench.
I have done this alot with shops who have freezers and display stands which needs power in the middle of the floor on a temp and permanent basis and cutting the floor is not an option due to floor covering or the shop being open at the same time

I have done this alot with shops who have freezers and display stands which needs power in the middle of the floor on a temp and permanent basis and cutting the floor is not an option due to floor covering or the shop being open at the same time

Had a similar job last week. They wanted the desks in the middle of the room to have sockets for the PC's etc.. Suspended ceiling with joists above supporting the roof. Split the RFC above with some JB's. Clipped it along the joists. A bit of 2 x 2 galvanised trunking secured to the joists above and rawl bolts to the concrete floor below. Dropped the two legs of the RFC down the trunking and provided some sockets below. Earthed the trunking. Solid as a rock and probably less the £30. Oh plus labour.

Y
You drop conduits 4-5m, how do you support them?

Yes I need to come from above but roof is sloping and 4-5m high, would need scissor lift etc. but work benches are all in place and shop floor fully working!

Has anyone used unistrut/cable tray on posts secured to floor? I think this is what the customer had in mind! Is it possible?

Yeah done it loads of time 6m length 41 x 41 slotted unistrut the back to back double strut though to take the flex out of it , double foot on the floor with parabolts, you can then fit the double metal sockets on the sides of the strut bringing the swa down the channel then sweep into the sides of the sockets.

If you want to keep costs down, hire a small moveable scaffold tower if you can get direct access to the ceiling. Then use conduit or tray (dependent what is most suitable) and uni strut for the drop posts, this will make for a straightforward install thats neat and sturdy.

What sort of shop is this, will they want trays and unistrut?
Well the op mentions "work benches" so I guess it's assumed its some sort of commercial workshop.
I guess if it's to be a higher spec job then I've fitted pvc clad posts similar to dado trunking, specifically designed to accept electrical accessories.

Last edited:
Well the op mentions "work benches" so I guess it's assumed its some sort off commercial workshop.
I guess if it's to be a higher spec job then I've fitted pvc clad posts similar to dado trunking, specifically designed to accept electrical accessories.
He said shop so maybe workshop, hate poor grammar.

Reply to Sockets in the middle of a shop floor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net