Discuss sockets on a chimney in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Y

yasser

Hi guys, my daughter has just bought an old terraced house and she has started to redecorate but before doing so she whants a few more sockets. An electrician is going to do the work because it will probably need a complete rewire from what I have found so far. Some of the socket locations would be staight forward but she wants a socket on the side of a chimney breast. Is this allowed as she wants to work everything out first before calling an electrician out. Thanks in advance for any replies

I'd ask the sparky face to face.

Is the fireplace/chimney in use?

Thanks for that Murdoch but that doesn.t really answer the question. Its very easy to keep saying ask the sparky when he's there but that just adds another trip and I thiught this was where you could ask questions. So all I wanted to know is there any regs to say you can or can.t put a sockekt on the side return wall of a chimney breast.

No there are no regs about sockets on the side of a chimney, but depending on weather the chimney is in use or not may determine weather a electrician is willing to put them there

Actually I was wondering about the construction of the chimney and the hearth - hence asking the spark "on the job".

So often you can't get a cable to such a location and comply with the zones and regs!

Thank you Dillb and Murdoch. There was an old backboiler gas fire in the hearth but that has now been taken out and new gas affect coal fire going back with a steel liner flu. There was already eletric on to a fashion but it wasa complete bodge and would not have been utilised in any way. And to reinstate it back to an original fire will take some serious repair to the brick work where they had all the pipes to the backboiler. Where the empty hearth is to the sire return is just shy of 2ft so there shouldn't be a problem with heat from the gas fire.

how would it entail another visit. she gets a spark to com to quote. she tells him where she wants everything. he then advises where it can be done physically and in compliance with regs. then he goes away, works out the quote and either emails it, posts it, or brings it round.

Its a woman we're talking about here. She would have a plan 'B' if the sparky said no but it wouldn't be the right plan 'B' if she had to use it. And believe me, she would have him back again.

If she wants a "socket on the side of a chimney breast" "no problem" its just a wall at the end of day

Reply to sockets on a chimney in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock